Pool First Aid?

Aug 7, 2012
I found a bottle of Natural Chemistry Pool First Aid in the garage. Our pool is just not clearing and I'm thinking of giving it a try. All our numbers are perfect. Our chlorine levels are holding overnight and our CC is reading 0 but we just can't get the water to clear. I'm trying to be patient but we have guests coming on Friday for the 4th and we want to swim. Any thoughts?

That's good stuff if someone spills a bottle of suntan oil in the pool, but I doubt it will help you.

Have you tried cleaning your sand filter? Or adding a little Diatomaceous Earth? If you sand is clumped into clods, you could have cracks that allow water to sneak past without being filtered. Cleaning fixes that. Adding DE puts a finer layer atop the sand bed - like setting a window screen on top a barbeque grill. It won't take very much; you can probably beg a can full off a neighbor with a DE filter.

:lovetfp:Thanks for all the replies. I have a TF100 Test Kit.

CYA is 50 been slamming at a FC level of 20

Our numbers have been very good the last couple of days. My OCLT has been reading 20 and my CC is 0.

Yesterday Morning:
FC 20
CC 0
TA 130
pH 7.5

Tested throughout the day and kept the FC at 20 like I've been doing for 2 weeks. Brushed yesterday but didn't vac. (I've been vacuuming daily)

This morning didn't get out to it as early as I normally do, so sun has been pounding at it a couple of hours.

FC 18
CC 0
TA 110
pH 7.5

I've been adding DE to the filter. Added about 1 1/2 C. to raise pressure by 1. Pressure read 18 yesterday afternoon after I did last treatment and this morning it is at 20. So, not a real significant change. Water is SLOWLY looking a little clearer.

Any tips on adding the DE or anything else I can do to speed up the process? As always, you folks are AWESOME and thank you so much for all your help and guidance!

Whatever you can do to increase circulation will help. You probably don't have a main drain in the bottom of the pool, so see if you can aim the return down. The more things get stirred up, the more likely they'll make it to the filter to get removed. Or put the vacuum in the pool but lying on its side so it draws the water from down low, where the sediment should be settling, and hopefully that will grab some of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.