Now using BBB - wanna switch to SWG

Jun 26, 2014
Madison, AL
My pool was built in 2009. I've had an automatic cover on it from day 1.

I knew nothing about pool chemistry so for years I just kept throwing pucks in the skimmers & shocking once or twice per year. I never tested FC, pH, TA, CH or CYA except via sticks. Everything seemed ok until this year @ opening.

I could not get a chlorine reading. First I put 12 lbs of cal-hypo in. No chlorine reading. So I put in 6 more pounds. Nada. Then, I noticed an ever so, almost imperceptible slimey feeling on the hose to my pool cleaner. I knew my pool was going down a road I didn't want to travel.

So, I looked around & found this site. Somewhere I learned my strips *maybe* could not read FC because it was so high it bleached out the strip. Either that or FC was too low. I learned about the relationship between CYA & Chlorine (thanks!) I bought a Taylor K-2006 test kit. My CYA was off the charts! Maybe 500 ppm! It had to go.

I was going to drain my pool but someone advised me the liner could be damaged if I did. So I bought a utility pump & drained 2' out of it. Filled it back up. Two days later, repeat. Also left the cover off for a couple of heavy rains. The CYA went to 75.

After that, I put in 10 bottles of 8.25% bleach over the last couple of days & 6 lbs of Lithium Hypochlorite today. My pool is still clear but the FC depletes quickly (~24 hours). Today, after the Lithium Hypochlorite, I tested again.

FC 4.4
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 160
CH 230
CYA 75
SI .13
Salt 400
Temp 84

Now I already hate lugging bleach around!! So I've decided to convert to SWG. I read up on it & decided my CYA is OK @ 75 but my TA needs to be cut in half. I then pour in 7 Pounds Kem-Tek pH Minus Pool & got pH down to 7.25 & began to aerate.

After a couple of hours, here are my numbers: pH is 7.3 and TA 140. I'll be aerating all night & as many days/nights as it takes...

My understanding is before converting to SWG, the pool must be balanced. That includes FC right? And I also read TA is recommended to be 70-80. Not sure why. Since salt is @ 400, I need 650 lbs of salt to get it to 2700 (minimum). I bought water softener salt @ Lowe's. As far as I can tell, it's the same as pool salt.

Has anybody gone through a conversion? I think I'm doing it right but would love some advice. Thank you

Cubgirl

Welcome to TFP!

You are doing fine, you just haven't finished killing off the algae yet. You are going to need to do that with manual chlorine additions before the SWG is going to be of much help. Take a look at the How To SLAM Your Pool article in the How To section of Pool School.

Hello Cubgirl,
I did the conversion to SWCG and haven't been sorry. Yes, It sure beats lugging jugs. What SWCG are you planning on purchasing?
You'll want to get a unit that rated for 60K gal or so (the largest you can purchase.) The outputs of SWCG are based upon 24 hour pump run time. If the pump isn't working the SWCG doesn't work. There must be water flow for it to work.

You can add the salt now. Some people add salt for the feel, it does nothing to help clarify the water but you'll be good to go when you add the cell. Most people wire the cell to the timer where the pump connects electrically. The SWCG cell will be after the heater and filter.

Solar salt for water softners work just fine, if you got the pellets, that's fine, they just take longer to dissolve. The solar salt looks like diamonds in the water. Just brush down the sides of the pool and in about 30 minutes all is dissolved.

Kill the algae first. Until you can pass the overnight loss test, whatever's in the water will eat whatever chlorine the SWG generates as fast as it generates.

The conversion isn't really much of a conversion. You mess with the plumbing a little, you dump in some salt, and the next day you turn it on. The chlorine is generated on-site rather than in a distant factory where it gets bottled up and trucked around until you finally buy it and pour it in.

Thanks, yes I see I have to SLAM it. This morning, FC .04, pH 7.5, TA 125

So I'll go to Wally World, buy 20 gallons of Clorox 8.25% @ $3.50/121 oz. $70.00 just for bleach! I figured once the SLAMming is done and keeping this method, I'd put in 121 oz/day. That's $105.00/month in Chlorine! Yikes!

For Bo, I did not want to fiddle with installation so I bought two 25,000 Saltron generators off ebay for $538.00, delivered. I'll hang them by the returns on each end. The salt cost $105.75 for 720 lbs (not 640 as I thought). This is a no brainer. No more lugging clorox & spending $105.00 each month. Yay!

Thanks for your help.

:D :D :D :D

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I have to be skeptical about how well those SWGs are going to work just given the price. The cost of the precious metals used in cells does not make them cheap. I am going to guess they just may not last as long. Personally I would not want to have to look at them dangling over the side either.

But, look forward to hearing how they work out for you over the long term.

Yes, I understand your point JB. These SWG's hang on side & don't require anything more than a couple of screws to install. They're on Amazon.com (the 20K version anyway) & they got great reviews there. On eBay, the seller was a top seller with a 99.5% rating & thousands of reviews, so I hope I'm OK. Of course, I won't know for sure until they get here & are put into operation. But I do NOT like lugging bleach bottles back & forth! The deadly pucks were so easy. I'm looking for easy & effective without raising my CYA.

http://www.amazon.com/Solaxx-CLG10A-Cleaning-Generator-Aboveground/dp/B003WLU1J4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404149611&sr=8-1&keywords=saltron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saltron-Retro-XL-Salt-Water-Swimming-Pool-System-for-pools-up-to-25-000-gallons-/281279679917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417d934dad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.