Did I get screwed at the pool store?

Mar 15, 2013
Yucaipa CA
Did I get screwed at the pool store?

Just refilled my 18000gal pool. So I took all the testing and added into the pool calc.

FC 0
PH 8.6
TA 170
CH 180
CYA 0

It told me to add...
1gal chlorine(approx.)
1gal muriatic acid(approx.)
98 oz dry cyanuric acid or 243 oz of liquid cyanuric acid
255 oz of calcium chloride

I went to the local hardware store to get everything because I hate going to Leslie's. They always grill me on why I'm using liquid chlorine instead of the powders. I always just tell them I don't want them and please sell me some liquid chlorine. It got to the point that I am willing to spend 50 cents more at the hardware even though it is out of my way to go there. The only problem is the hardware store doesn't sell liquid cyanuric acid. So down to Leslie's I go. As soon as I walk in the store the "sales man" is on me like a used car sales man. I tell him I need some liquid cyanuric acid and he leads me over to it. I am looking over the bottle to see that it says it is cyanuric acid and the salesman says it is. I get distracted by the $36.99 price tag per gallon and the fact that I need two of them. I go ahead and buy them and proceed home to add to my pool. After I pour it in I start reading the label and find out it is not cyanuric acid. He out right "lied" to me.

Is this going to be a problem? Here is the actual product. Does this stuff work? I am waiting till tomorrow to retest the pool.

http://www.lesliespool.com/natural-chemistry-07401-instant-conditioner--1-gal/07401.htm

skeeter

I expected to pay more for the rush job. I just hope it works. This isn't something I will have to keep adding again is it?

skeeter
Not really. CYA/Stabilizer does not go away naturally*. You loose it with splash out & back washing of filters, but that is a slow depletion. You do not loose it to evaporation.

You can make up for it by floating pucks (as they are about 50% CYA) when you are going to be away and not able to add liquid chlorine. Hmm, did I really just say use pucks??:confused:

*There are reports of folks loosing CYA in a closed pool over winter. There are theories on how/why this happens, but a search should turn up threads about it.

In a well maintained pool (non swamp conditions) CYA loss should be minimal, you will likely have to replace some of the CYA at some point due to loss from splash out, back washing if you have a sand or DE filter, and its very slow break down over time (somewhere in the 1 or 2 % per month ball park).

Looks like all is well. You just spent more than you needed to.

Is there a reason why you wanted the liquid vs. the powder? It's not really necessary to have the liquid. You could have used powder and adjusted your FC to the correct level for what you targeted with the CYA powder/granules. In a week you'd test to verify you hit your target.

Obviously water under the bridge (or in the pool!) but for future reference I figured I'd throw it in to the thread in case you didn't know...

The hardware stores here have higher prices on bleach than wal-mart or target. Is there one of those more convenient than the hardware store you're going out of the way for? I guess if you're looking for the higher percentage it might not be a better deal at wal-mart and target but for store brand 8.25% bleach it's usually pretty good.

When i say out of the way i just meant i had to turn and go a couple blocks out of my way. I almost drive through the Leslie's parking lot on the way home. I had read somewhere the powder takes up to a week to fully dissolve. I put in 4gals of chlorine in two days. I figure i would maybe break even with the savings in chlorine but not have any algae outbreaks while waiting for the CYA levels to come up enough to save the chlorine. I took a chance. I only got mad when the salesman told me it was cyanuric acid but then i read it isn't. If it works the same fine and dandy.

Bleach out here at Walmart or target is more than the hardware stores when you figure the cost/oz/%.

skeeter

Ok, something's got to be wrong. I just checked the pool.

FC 0
CYA 0, used my last test for CYA. have more on order but won't get that till end of week.

I put in a gallon of chlorine last night and tonight it reads 0. Getting slight algae build up.

Was that stabilizer stuff junk?

Just added another gallon of chlorine at 7:15 tonight. What do I need to do?

skeeter

Well, CYA does take a while to register on tests. You only put the liquid in today so it may take a few days to show up. I would SLAM under the assumption that you have the 40 CYA. Your goal will be to keep your FC above 16 until the SLAM is complete. Twice a day is the minimum you should be testing and adjusting - but the more times the better up to every 30 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CYA will dissolve, it just takes a while longer than liquid. I have easilty dissolved 12 lbs in a day by hanging multiple socks in the water and squeezing them often.
Its the showing up on the test that may take several days.

When i say out of the way i just meant i had to turn and go a couple blocks out of my way. I almost drive through the Leslie's parking lot on the way home. I had read somewhere the powder takes up to a week to fully dissolve. I put in 4gals of chlorine in two days. I figure i would maybe break even with the savings in chlorine but not have any algae outbreaks while waiting for the CYA levels to come up enough to save the chlorine. I took a chance. I only got mad when the salesman told me it was cyanuric acid but then i read it isn't. If it works the same fine and dandy.

Bleach out here at Walmart or target is more than the hardware stores when you figure the cost/oz/%.

skeeter

I am using the HTH testing kit. They are all liquid drop tests. It only came with enough reagents to do 3 CYA tests. I've used all that up. Ordered some refill reagent for the Taylor website. Should be here by the end of the week.

Shouldn't the liquid CYA show up immediately? Isn't that why i paid more?

Tested this morning

FC 3
Added one more gallon before i left for work. Will test again tonight when i get home.

Why would i slam? Isn't that for clearing a algae filled pool?

skeeter.

Not really. CYA/Stabilizer does not go away naturally*. You loose it with splash out & back washing of filters, but that is a slow depletion.

I used this liquid stabilizer when I drained and re-filled my pool and I have had to add more since then. I don't really get a lot of "splash out" and I have canister filters so I don't back wash either. Wouldn't evaporation and splash out be kinda the same thing? I usually add water to the pool ever few days to keep the levels up for the skimmer. Just curious.

I used this liquid stabilizer when I drained and re-filled my pool and I have had to add more since then. I don't really get a lot of "splash out" and I have canister filters so I don't back wash either. Wouldn't evaporation and splash out be kinda the same thing? I usually add water to the pool ever few days to keep the levels up for the skimmer. Just curious.
Nope, evaporation is like a still. The water is boiled off and all the other stuff like minerals stays in the water. This is why CH goes up in areas that have higher than normal CH in the tap water. The water evaporates and you keep adding more CH with the fill water.

Hi Skeeter! You found the right place to learn about taking care of your pool. Do us a favor and do the following:
Please put the city and state in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
What kind/model of water test kit you are using
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

After reviewing what you have done so far, I'd say you are in a holding pattern until you get more reagents for your kit. As Richard pointed out, I would assume a CYA level of 40 until you can re-test and confirm. Your PH seems in line, but keep testing. Keep your Chlorine up where it should be so you don't get any algae started. Post a full set of results when you get your stuff and we can keep you going. Keep reading through Pool School and learning. Welcome to TFP!

I buy my chlorine and acid at Home Depot.

I buy my conditioner at Leslies. I pay too much for it. But the fact that I have them test my water for me for free, I respect the fact that they have bills to pay too.

Really. $30 a year to a company that tests for you and asks nothing in return except that you spend a few bucks in their store?

But that's just me. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Not offended....but this forum is filled with the direct results of free pool store testing... frustrated owners of green pools who have spent a ton of money putting in what the free testing store has recommended and only have empty wallets and cloudy pools to show for it.

That's why we do our own testing! :)
Then we buy what we need from wherever it's the most convenient and cheapest!

I buy my chlorine and acid at Home Depot.

I buy my conditioner at Leslies. I pay too much for it. But the fact that I have them test my water for me for free, I respect the fact that they have bills to pay too.

Really. $30 a year to a company that tests for you and asks nothing in return except that you spend a few bucks in their store?

But that's just me. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Chuckiechan,
It's nice that you appreciate what someone does for you. But what if I told you that through no fault of their own, they are giving you bad results.
It has been proven over and over that the test results you are getting from the "pool stores" are inaccurate. Most of the time they are using inaccurate test strips or they have some kid using a test kit he or she has no idea how to use. Do what feels right for you, but I will put my faith in a tried and proven method. TFP Have a great day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.