Pool Math Jug size?

Hello,

So I have the 2.5 Gallon Chlorine Jugs and Pool Math's largest jug size is 182oz. I thought the 2.5's were pretty common outside of box store bleach. At my local Leslies I can usually get my 2.5's filled 2 for $8. I would love Pool Math to be able to tell me how many jugs I need to use to chlorinate to SLAM but it would need a 320oz option. I am good enough at math to do my own calculations but it would be nice if Pool Math could show me quickly.

Regards,
Brian

Welcome to TFP!

Take the number of oz that PoolMath says you need and divide by 320. That is it.

Rarely will anyone need to regularly be adding that much to warrant it being on PoolMath.

Edit, I thought you said you were struggling with the calculation, sorry about misreading it.

I would love Pool Math to be able to tell me how many jugs I need to use to chlorinate to SLAM but it would need a 320oz option.

How many JUGS? Plural? What are you doing or what is your CYA where you need to use more than an entire jug at a time. (26FC increase assuming it's 12.5%). Just thinking out loud about how that seems like a lot, even for a pool in need of a SLAM.

5 gallons for $8, nice find there.

While Pool Math will not tell you how many 2.5g Carboys to add, in the white box above the FC calculation (to the left of where it says "Mouse over a field for detail") it will tell you how many gallons of your chlorine to use.

Just change the % field to 10 or 12.5% depending on what you are buying. Then when you set your "Now" and "Target" FC levels the white box will show gallons (if you need that much).

As a test I set 10%; Now 13.5; Target 50 and it shows "10 gallons or 11 (121 oz) jugs".

Thank you all for the responses, I am fine with working seeing the gallons. I understand that there aren't many times when you would need to add a whole 2.5 gallon carboy but i just thought it odd it wasn't there seeing how they seem to be pretty common in my area at least. My current pool numbers are as follows:

FC 4
CC 0
TA 100
CH 325
PH 7.2 (added a touch of acid while washing some old calcium scale from some tiles, will aerate to nudge it up a bit)
CYA 40 (may try to bump this up to 50ish since I am in Central FL and it has been HOT!!!)

Regards,
Brian

5 gallons for $8, nice find there.

Yeah scott.MI 2 2.5's for $7.95 is a regular special run around here... sometimes it is 3 2.5's for $9.98

I feel terrible for some of the people here talking about buying 30-40 1gal jugs to SLAM their pool when I can do it so much easier. It still trips me out that some have to use that much CL, I guess because I can't really fathom a 24,000-30,000gal pool for a normal residence. Heck my dad and my best friend have big pools and they are only 18k and 20k respectively. When I bought my house, it had been sitting for 2 years as a foreclosure, needless to say it was low on water and a swamp! I filled it during the winter so the algae was mostly dormant and since there wasn't going to be much CYA in it from the 2 years of rain dilution the CL in my city fill water actually started killing the algae without any extra from me. I did however put in a whole 2.5 gallons, brush and clean the filter about 4 times that day and by the next day it was cloudy but blue. I put another gallon of CL in the next day and brushed and cleaned the filter 4 more times. By day 2 it was almost clear and the tests from the pool store (no kit at the time and before I found TFP) were coming in line with where it should be. I kept adding a little as needed and it finally was balanced. So I think I used maybe 10-15gal of CL to get it right and then maintained after that. I found out that I had a leak and was determined to not dump a bunch of money in Chemistry down the drain (pun intended) so I let it go for almost 2 years only bringing it back when we had a party or something to let people swim. I have just now found and fixed the leak and my current numbers were posted up a few posts in this thread. :)

-Brian

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.