Metal Staining w/ CYA at 0, What to do first?

Jun 15, 2013
Bethel, CT
Hello,

First of all I love TFP!! You guys have helped me a ton since i moved in a year ago and am totally new to pools.

So, this year the opening went fine cleaning the leaves out and vacuuming to start. Water looked good and i started to balance. TA was low, ph was good and the CYA was at 0, so I started balancing TA first.

I brought up the TA with baking soda, 13lbs worth and got up to a TA of 70. PH went up to 7.7. Next I added bleach to shock level thinking that this would be ok.

The next morning after adding the bleach i started seeing light brown staining on the steps, skimmer boxes, and return eyeballs. I left it for a few days and the stains have darkened. I tested it with vitamin c pills and it came right off. So now i am planning on doing the AA treatment.

Question: my test results are below and with a CYA of 0 what should i do first? AA treatment, bring up CYA, and then balance TA & PH or bring up CYA first?

ph 7.7
FC .5
CC 1.5
TC 2
TA 70
CH 120
CYA 0

Thanks and appreciate your help!!

Ok, will do.

One other question, i have the tf-100 kit that i bought last year. how long should the r-840 powder be good for? the only reason i ask is that when i added the heaping scoop per the directions it was very very light pink. maybe because there is hardly any chlorine?

thx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.