Pool green...started slam....but?

Jun 3, 2013
Kansas
Pool had algae, been slamming for 2 days now. At 9am the FC was 3.75 an CC was 0.5...added bleach back to shock level. At 6pm FC was 3.8 and CC was 0.15....pool is milky colored now instead of green...I keep raising chlorine to shock level until when? I have read the slamming your pool section. Just confused now.
:(

Maintain it at your shock level until you: 1.lose less than 1ppm or less of FC over night 2. Have less than 1ppm of CC and 3. Water is clear All 3 must be met before you are done slamming. Hope this helps. If it is turning white, it is killing the algae, don't stop the coarse. It will happen, might take a few days, it might take a week or more, but it will happen! The more often you can bring it to shock level the faster it will clear.

What factor are you using to multiply the drop test? Your numbers make no sense. Which test kit are you using, and what is the CYA level?

How long it takes varies tremendously. If there's a lot of rotting leaves in the bottom or the pool water is so green and chunky you could almost walk on it, figure two weeks from swamp to clear, roughly. Most people can get from green to blue in a couple days. Getting it to clear takes an agonizingly long time. And it can take a lot of bleach. Hopefully not as much as this:

tfp-jugs.jpg

So when I add the bleach to shock level...then test again before dark? Then in the morning to see if I have lost 1 ppm or less? I have been adding exactly 11 cups of bleach every 4hours except at night since 5 pm yesterday...is this normal?

So when I add the bleach to shock level...then test again before dark? Then in the morning to see if I have lost 1 ppm or less? I have been adding exactly 11 cups of bleach every 4hours except at night since 5 pm yesterday...is this normal?
Why do you add 11 cups of bleach? Is that what poolmath calculated to get you to shock level for your CYA? Is 11 cups enough? Is it too much?

Again: What factor are you using to multiply the drop test? Which test kit are you using, and what is the CYA level?

Like Richard said, it depends on your CYA level as to what your shock value is. What test kit are you using? Having the right kit will make the process a lot easier. If you are using the right shock number for your cya, then just add what the pool math tells you to. If you could test and add every hour until bedtime, that would be great, the harder you hit it, the faster the process.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, good choice, Did you put all your info into the pool math?

I am using the FAS-DPD test kit I ordered from the link here. I am multiplying by .05?
You must have one of the old ones with the typo. If you are using a 10 ml sample, you multiply drops by .5 That will seriously affect poolmath.

If you were at 37.5, that's shock level for 95 CYA. :shock: If your CYA level isn't that high, you could bleach your liner.

Ok , you numbers are off a bit, say you use 12 drops to clear your sample, then your FC is 6. Basically just take the number you got and divide it by 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Richard is a way faster typer and better explainer than I am...lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh my, yeah, let that drift down a bit... I think your done for tonight...lol...start back up tomorrow IF it goes down below your shock level. Don't worry, I made that same mistake before, got carried away...my liner faded just a touch, not a whole lot.

You can really only tell your OCLT by taking the sample at night and testing first thing in the morning....if you were at 38 last night, then at 27 this morning, you lost 11 ppms, so it is still killing stuff. The good news is it seems to be holding much better, but you still need to keep slamming. Fist you need to wait for the chlorine to drop back below 16 (that is your slam level), then keep adding and dosing from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.