A Funny Pool Store Story....(probably common)

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I'm not a huge fan of pool stores and now that TFP has armed me with information, I have been able to find most of the pool chemicals I need either online or at Ace Hardware. However, after church, the pool store (I'll leave the name out) was the closets venue for me to pick up some bags of pool salt that I needed to up my salt levels after doing a series of water drains lately.

It was a sad sight to behold - in line in front of me were about three different sets of customers all holding bottles and bottles of the ridiculous chemicals they try to sell you - PhosFree, GreenClean, BacksideUp, Dead-Man's Float...(ok, those last two I made up, but you get the drift). All the while the two guys working the counter are spouting out the biggest bunch of nonsense you could ever imagine. This exchange had me shaking my head -

[Customer] - So this GreenClean stuff will get rid of the stains I'm seeing and I just brush it around but will it mess up the other chemicals in the pool?

[Pimple-Faced Clerk] - Naw man, no way. It's basically 99% crushed sea shells. Can't harm anything and the best part is you don't even really need to brush it, it cleans all by itself.

[Customer] - Awesome. Thanks...maybe I should buy 2 bottles since one bottle treats 15k gallons and my pool is exactly 15k gallons?

[PFC] - Yo, can't hurt it, right?

I mean, what malarkey!?!? If the stuff is truly made only out of seashells and you don't have to do anything but pour it in your pool, then why even buy it?? I can't believe people believe this stuff...sad.

The best part of the story though was the couple in front of me who had a picture on their phone of a BIG GREEN MONSTER. Their pool was hosed, it was a nasty dark green and black toxic stew. Listening to them talk to the clerk, they basically said that their pool service guy gave up trying to help them after spending weeks dumping in shock, flocc and every kind of algaecide imaginable. The service guy basically sent them to the pool store for help (after taking $300 of their money). The pool store clerk was even worse in my opinion. He basically shrugged his shoulders and told them that, in his "expert" opinion, they should just completely drain the pool and start over. Once they refilled it, he'd be happy to sell them the $500 worth of chemicals the store says you absolutely need to start up a pool. The couple walked away thinking that was their best option....even though the clerk never even bothered to understand what kind of pool they had and if you could even fully drain a pool (which for IG vinyl I think is a big no-no).

That's when I couldn't take it any longer. I left the line and let the guy behind me go ahead. I then rounded behind the big stack of solar covers and headed off the couple at the door. I stopped them and told them not to do anything drastic with their pool (it was already a swamp anyway) and to go to Trouble Free Pools and start there. I told them that I had nothing to do with the site as I was only a new user to it and I told them that draining the pool and starting over might be the right thing to do but that they should at least research their options before doing anything drastic. They thanked me for the info and left.

I really hope they check out this site as it has been a HUGE help to me in understanding my pool....and I really hope they join and show off pictures of their sparkling water someday!

I ran into a guy at WalMart oogling the HTH products. As I walked past the guy, I said, Go buy some bleach and he looked pretty shocked and said, Really?! I asked him if he had a computer and when he said yes, I said Trouble Free Pool.com!!! :mrgreen:

I ran into a guy at WalMart oogling the HTH products. As I walked past the guy, I said, Go buy some bleach and he looked pretty shocked and said, Really?! I asked him if he had a computer and when he said yes, I said Trouble Free Pool.com!!! :mrgreen:
I have a guy at work argue with me just about every day since it was time to open up the pools. I keep telling him just to use bleach. He keeps adding bag after bag after bag of shock, for 2 months now, and his pool is still green. I try to explain to him the chemicals and he argues with me that it is not the same as bleach. He can't comprehend that sodium hypochloride is sodium hypochloride no matter if it is in a product marketed for a pool or marketed for cleaning your clothes.

I can't get him to comprehend the fact that every bag of shock he is adding adds CYA and thus, he needs a higher and higher FC level to keep it sanitized, let alone get it sanitized from it's current green condition. Green pool doesn't stop him from swimming in it though.

Of course, this is a guy who is just argumentative no matter what. I remember years ago, he walked into my work area (he was shift supervisor, I was QC working in the QC lab) and Kiss was playing on the radio. He commented something about how Kiss wasn't all that talented, they just had some plain old good songs. I agreed and continued working and he started to fiercely argue with me about it, LOL.

mrodger,

Yep, been there, done that! I was a much happier person when I started working from home. Some people just don't let facts stand in the way of their ideas :)

To update my tale, I went into the pool store again today to see if they had any Taylor reagents (I'm in desperate need of some while I wait for my amazon order to arrive) which led the sales clerk to try to convince me that the test strips would work just fine :brickwall: I them tried to explain that my FC levels were too high for that because I was doing a SLAM to which I got the predictable response of, "why the heck are you using liquid chlorine?!?!" Followed by all the most idiotic assertions as to why bleach and shock are not the same.

I had to walk away because I did not have my morning coffee on board and I just could not muster the energy to fight with the guy. Just further evidence that I really need to stop inflicting pain on myself by going into the pool store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been in my local pool store for quite a while but every time I've gone in there it's a VERY similar story. I drove by it today... thought about going in and spreading the word. It's almost painful to watch people begging for help and getting sold a bill of goods that likely won't solve their problems. Need to arm myself with some TFP cards and troll the parking lot.

I only go to the pool store to buy parts. When I do, I have that "This guy looks like he knows exactly what he wants" demeanor, and then get out of there as fast as possible. It literally hurts to overhear some of the conversations going on in there.

Exactly! I went in once and very curtly asked for two bags of pool salt and two gallons of muriatic acid and the kid at the counter snapped to it to the back of the store and got me what I wanted without any commentary. I had on my yard work clothes and was pretty sweaty and dusty looking so the kid probably thought I was a pool contractor or something and so figured I wasn't there for "advice".

As long as you go in there knowing exactly what you want and where it is, you can get in and out quickly. Just wear a good pair of ear plugs to block out all the BS stories they're telling everyone else ;)

I tried to tell a couple at Walmart about bleach/chlorine and TFP. They just could not get that the pool store would try to sell them stuff they did not need and could cause more problems. "But they test it for free." Forget the fact they were at Walmart trying to find something cheaper than the pool store tried to sell them. SIGH!

Kim

Fyi, you can use solar salt from hardware store for half the price of the pool salt at the big L.

Yep.

I've come to realize that the only thing pool stores are good for are ripping you off. I'm pretty certain anything I need for my pool can either be found at the Ace Hardware store across the street or ordered online through Amazon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.