SWG Salt Level versus Strips/Reagents

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Does anyone have good data on the salt level output as read from an SWG versus what they see in strips or reagents? Also, anyone have a feel for AquaChek strips (I have these) versus Taylor reagents (I like titration/colorimetry better)? One better than the other or about the same?

I'm only just starting to keep records on my IC-40 and my SWG is always reading several hundred ppm above what the strips say. I think this is a common problem as SWG's can only measure the conductivity of the water passing through them which is how they calculate the salt level, but I was hoping folks with Pentair IC's and other vendors SWG systems might chime in...

And, this is advanced stuff, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to hack into the Pentair controls to see instantaneous output of the salt level from the IC40 as opposed to what I'm sure is some moving average value displayed in the Diagnostics menu.

None of the available salt tests, including the ones on the SWGs, are better than +-400, so some variation in the readings are to be expected.

Wow, that's pretty bad as far as a test goes. At 3400ppm recommended for the IC40, that's a +/-10% variation in reading. But I guess that says that the SWCG process is pretty good as it seems to work efficiently over a wide salt concentration range...(called being "idiot proof" :) )

I'll just keep good records, use up my AquaChek strips and switch over to the Taylor reagents after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.