If we go away on vacation how do we BBB users...

I left for 9 days....shocked my pool before I left; left the solar cover on to minimize CL loss and evaporation, and left the filter running on low 24/7. Pool was clear on my return, but I was just about out of FC, I was taking a chance. Last year I had someone add bleach for me 2 times during 11 days.

Some things to consider: pump malfunction....no cover and water evaporates rapidly....

Is there someone who can check on your equipment, water level and poor in a jug of bleach mid-vacation? How long are you planning to be gone?

You can use Polyquat 60 as an algaecide, but that's the only one I'd recommend.

There are others on here who have shocked and turned off the pump, fearing damage to the pump.

If you can't cover it and fear pump damage from evaporation or malfunction, you can shock, shut off the pump, and use a floater and pucks, make sure your CYA is not too high to start, your PH is at least 7.8 and your TA 100 if you do that (pucks are acidic)...

Anyway, those are thoughts that come to mind.

I'm surprised you don't have anyone who will check in on it. I know this isn't related to your post, but check your house insurance, many of them have a clause in them that states the residence must be checked on every 24 or 48 hours or your insurance is void.

With us, we always had trouble getting people to check in on pets etc, now that we have the pool, the list of people is pretty long who will exchange a bit of house sitting for a few dips in the pool while we are gone :)

I left for a week on vacation at the beginning of July and used trichlor pucks while I was gone. I brought the chlorine up to about twice my normal level before I left, and the pucks kept it from dipping too low.

I'm leaving again for a week at the end of the month, and will use less pucks initially and have my neighbor put a few more in mid-week.

Pucks actually work quite well for vacation purposes, and if you only use them sparingly (like on vacation) they won't affect your CYA to a noticeable degree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.