My Stenner Install - July 2014

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
Well, I decided I love the TFPC method, but didn't care to carry bottles out to the pool every day. I was torn between a Liquidator and a Stenner, but for my install the Stenner won out.

A little background. We purchased this house in November 2013 and the pool was already there (our first pool). Before we closed on the house we met the previous owner there during an inspection. Now, he said he never closed the pool and it was running and sparkley clear. My full set of instructions was about five minutes long and was basically
  • Keep water at the middle of the skimmer
  • Float pucks
  • Shock once a week
  • Brush it once & a while
  • Vacuum when needed
  • Backwash the filter
That was it. I had been given his depth of knowledge. My gut told me that if I went to a pool store for their help I would end up with an armful of stuff and a lighter wallet. But, I wanted a new portable hot tub (Hot Springs to be exact) so it was off to a pool store with a bottle of water in hand. To my surprise they said the water was perfect, don't do anything. They discussed what chemicals I might need and I said I would look and see what had been left behind before I bought anything. That continued for December, January, February & March. I started reading and finally found my way here, but not before I purchased a huge bucket of pucks and lots of shock (Costco).

Well, my perfect water ended up having a CYA level of 200+, now down to 80. Lots of bottles of bleach have been poured into the pool, but luckily I have not needed to SLAM.

Understand, the pool equipment for this house is installed in the crawl space under the house. Before you think, what a pain - my crawlspace on this side of the house is 12 feet tall. Plenty of space.

I purchased the 45MHP2 Single Head Adjustable Output High Pressure Pump in 220v from USwatersystems. The day I ordered it I went by Lowes and picked up my electrical needs, including a NEMA 6/20 receptacle.

I wired this receptacle up to the timer that powered the 220v pool pump, so when the pump is on the receptacle is hot.
stenner1.jpg

I received the pump as well as a tank from another TFPC member who found them for a reasonable price, but had to buy three. He was nice enough to pass the savings along to two other folks! It took about 30 minutes to mount the pump to the wall and plumb it into the system. It plugs right into the receptacle, so no cutting off the plug supplied.
stenner2.jpg

Right now I have it injecting into the pump strainer basket, but plan on moving the injection point into the 2" return pipe when I get some "extra" time.
stenner3.jpg

Now, understand I installed all this the afternoon the wife & I had to leave town for 10 days. My choice was start the Stenner or float pucks. The Stenner won.

My math:
The pump is rated at 3.0 gallons per day (with the #1 Tube) or .13 gallons per hour.
I run my pump 6 hours per day so at 100% I would get 0.78 gallons added to the pool
I wanted just shy of 0.5 gallon, so I need to set the pump at 60%

I raised the FC in the pool to 10, filled the tank, turned it on and left town. To be honest, I didn't trust my math skills, so I actually set it at 65% before we left.

Ten days later I returned home. I was imagining broken hoses with chlorine under my house, an empty chlorine tank and a green pool - all kinds of things. Well, I came home to a beautiful pool with my FC sitting at 7.0. As I need to keep my FC between 6 - 9 due to my CYA level I will need to play with my settings just a little.

The Stenner will never eliminate the manual addition of chlorine, but I'm hoping to get close.

This pump is wonderful!!

*********Edit ******

I finally got time in my schedule and changed the injection point from the pump strainer basket to it's own spot in the return line to the pool. Due to my plumbing, I had to cut the return pipe and use unions to set it back in place rather then just adding a "T". I also added a shut off valve so I can remove the Stenner one way valve if need be without shutting down the system.

stenner4.jpg

Update, Spring 2015

Well, I have has the Stenner for about 9 months or so and am still extremely happy with it. As the summer turned to fall I began dialing back the % injection due to lower chlorine demand. Eventually the demand was so low that I diluted the bleach in the tank 50% with water so I could turn the injection back up. When the 50% bleach/water solution ran out I just shut her down for the winter and reverted to manual additions of chlorine, which were few.

Jump forward to 2015. In late March we were going to Jamaica for 10 days so I figured it was time to start the Stenner again. I filled the tank and fired her up. It took about a week to get the % adjusted for the current chlorine demand. I topped of fthe tank March 26, full - 15 gallons. I wanted to see how long it would run and as of today I still have about 2 gallons left. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks, so I can tale a long vacation.....

I'm like you, I can go just over a month during the summer on a tank full of bleach.

The cashiers at the store used to look at me kinda funny when I'd buy 20 bottles of bleach but they've gotten used to me now. :)

I'm like you, I can go just over a month during the summer on a tank full of bleach.

The cashiers at the store used to look at me kinda funny when I'd buy 20 bottles of bleach but they've gotten used to me now. :)
Yea, I figure anything over three bottles is going to get a funny look. I just buy six anytime I'm at WalMart and stock up.

hi there, thanks for including the pictures. I have been a member for a few years now and just returned today to browse the plumbing forum for ideas on bleach injection. I have mentioned to the wife about adding a plumbed bleach injection to the existing plumbing for the pool and she is actually for it. with that in mind I must now get her to pass the budget for this...

what model pump did you end up getting? and if you don't mind about how much did it cost, and what is the flow rate? and where did you get that tank for the bleach?

Thanks

Eric

While I'm not Tim the OP (Original Poster), I will give you my take on it. I'm sure Tim will add his thoughts as well.

Tim and I have the same injection pump (45MHP2(3GPD)). It's an adjustable rate pump and can be .2 to 3 gallons per day if ran continuously.

I don't recommend the adjustable rate pumps anymore. While they work well they tend to make a clicking noise when the dog releases and slips into the index plate. Also, because the dog and index plate are mechanical it requires yearly maintenance where you have to dismantle the head and either flip the plate or replace it.

I now recommend the fixed rate pump of whatever size you'd like that exceeds the requirements of you pool at your preferred run time and a timer that can be adjusted in minute increments.
I do recommend the high pressure model pumps because they come with the check valve in the injection fitting. That way if you rupture the pump tube or injection tubing, water from the system doesn't leak backwards out of the compromised part.

Reactions: EngineerNerd
While I'm not Tim the OP (Original Poster), I will give you my take on it. I'm sure Tim will add his thoughts as well.

Tim and I have the same injection pump (45MHP2(3GPD)). It's an adjustable rate pump and can be .2 to 3 gallons per day if ran continuously.

I don't recommend the adjustable rate pumps anymore. While they work well they tend to make a clicking noise when the dog releases and slips into the index plate. Also, because the dog and index plate are mechanical it requires yearly maintenance where you have to dismantle the head and either flip the plate or replace it.

I now recommend the fixed rate pump of whatever size you'd like that exceeds the requirements of you pool at your preferred run time and a timer that can be adjusted in minute increments.
I do recommend the high pressure model pumps because they come with the check valve in the injection fitting. That way if you rupture the pump tube or injection tubing, water from the system doesn't leak backwards out of the compromised part.
Dave seems to have covered it very well. The only difference is I still like the adjustable rate pumps, even with the yearly maintenance. Mine was $278 about a year ago at US Watersystems

showed the wife this yesterday, she actually liked the idea.

I understand that you all say to get a fixed speed Stenner pump and control it with a timer. so with that in mind do I go with a 45MP1(3.0 GPD) or the 45MP2(10.0 GPD) for my 24' AG round pool?

Last edited:
So the way I see it. At 3 GPD, you're looking at about 1/8 gallon per hour. At that rate, in my pool I would need to run for about 2 1/2 hours every night to make it work.

Does that sound about right for the guys who have these? And I have a 24' AG round that requires about 40oz a night....give or take a few.

showed the wife this yesterday, she actually liked the idea.

I understand that you all say to get a fixed speed Stenner pump and control it with a timer. so with that in mind do I go with a 45MP1(3.0 GPD) or the 45MP2(10.0 GPD) for my 24' AG round pool?
you can always run the larger one less time, but the smaller one may take too long to dispense the amount you need.

So the way I see it. At 3 GPD, you're looking at about 1/8 gallon per hour. At that rate, in my pool I would need to run for about 2 1/2 hours every night to make it work.

Does that sound about right for the guys who have these? And I have a 24' AG round that requires about 40oz a night....give or take a few.
sounds correct without pulling out the calculator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Bama,

Can you provide the part# that needs replacing on a yearly basis that you are referring to? I just ordered the 45MHP10 a few days ago and can't cancel it now. Thanks in advanced. I had planned on replacing the suction/discharge tubing on a yearly basis and wanted to know what other parts I should replace yearly.

Thanks in advanced!

The difference between the 10 gpd and the 3 gpd is the tube size. So by simply replacing the tube on the rollers it changes the volume dispensed. That said I selected the 3 gpd for 2 reasons.

1 there was never a need for 3 gallons of bleach in my pool on a given day. (I usually add 60 oz or less)
2 I added this to an open relay on my controller and my timer only allows 15 minute start stop time settings (the pump producing less volume gives me more flexibility in how much I add)

If you want longer times between pool maintenance, i.e adding bleach daily, why not just get a salt water chlorine generator, I don't have one , but don't they reduce daily maintenance considerably?

Is the cost much different between the two?

If you want longer times between pool maintenance, i.e adding bleach daily, why not just get a salt water chlorine generator, I don't have one , but don't they reduce daily maintenance considerably?

Is the cost much different between the two?
Figure $1,000 for a SWCG and you need to consider that the salt cell will need to be replaced in the 3 - 5 year range. You should be able,to get the Stenner up and running for less than $500. Both costs will increase the less DIY there is.

It has been calculated that the cost of purchasing, operating and replacing the salt cell when necessary for a SWCG is about the same ongoing cost as chlorinating with bleach by hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.