Disabled and considering above ground SWP

dck696

Jun 29, 2014
Cedar Hill
Hi All,

I am considering an above ground SWP, and am trying to find out all I can about it. My husband doesn't want one and says if I have one installed I will have to take care of it myself. I have Multiple Sclerosis, and my main disability is in walking and weakness in my legs. I think I can handle the maintenance at this point in my life, and would enjoy exercising in the water.

One of the main things I'm researching early on is an accessible entry and exit from the pool. It must be sturdy getting in and out, with large steps and handails on both sides. I have found on on line, but that's all so far. I know things can be built, but again, since my husband wants no part of this I'm rather limited with my resources.

I want to get a small pool, I don't need anything fabulous or gigantic. I live near Nashville, TN, and anyone who has any recommendations or advise is welcome to comment!

About how much $$ am I going to have to spend on, say, a 18' x 54" pool?

Thanks!

I would check out PoolSupplyWorld.com as they have great pools and the shipping is free. I think, an 18ft pool would do you great. You should really look into having a small deck/platform with steps going up to the platform with a handrail installed. I say this because those A frame ladders are ridiculously flimsy. My husband almost took a nose dive off ours last year after his motorcycle accident and then my friend almost fell off of it! :shock: I wouldn't want to hear of you falling off yours so look into getting a wooden platform made. Maybe your husband can make it?

As far as entry steps, I have the Mighty Steps. Google that, along with above ground pool and they should show up. I like them. I use bleach bottle full of sand to weigh them down.

If you go with the 54" wall, depending on how tall you are or not, it can be hard to sweep the pool from outside. It's not too bad while doing it on the inside. I'm 5'6" and it is hard to do!

If you have anymore questions, ask! I bet once you get your pool up and ready, your hubby will be in it. My hubby said the same thing about ours and how he will NOT take care of it or use it... he's in it every day!!!