Main drain help

Jun 29, 2014
Wantagh/NY
Hi,
I am having trouble keeping dirt out of the bottom of my inground pool - no matter how much I vacuum, or run the Polaris dirt keeps collecting around the main drain of the pool. Is it broken or clogged and not being able to suck the dirt - is that even it's function? what else could be the cause?

TIA for your help!

Kathryn
27,000 IG, vinyl, DE Hayward multiport, variable speed pump, copper ionized pool
Test results:
FC - 0
CC -0
pH - 7.6
TA - 80
CH - 120

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What is your CYA? How did you get these test results?

Since you FC is 0, you could be seeing dead algae accumulating on the floor every time you add some chlorine. How does the water look?

Also, realize that we do not recommend the use of copper systems as they can lead to ugly stains and green hair ... by maintaining adequate FC that is a function of CYA, there is no need to the copper to help prevent algae.

I got my test results by bringing a sample of my water to the pool supply store. The CYA says N/A on the sheet.
The water is actually very clear. We have the copper ionization system because the pool was already here when we bought the house 2 years ago and we just kept it.

How do I test for CYA level?
I have been pretty happy with the copper/salt ionization system, no staining in the pool or green hair here! Apparently the previous owners daughter had bad allergies and asthma so they went with this system.

You order one of the recommended test kits.

You need to maintain the same FC levels with or without the copper to have protection from bacteria. Search the forum for more info about copper systems. There are other threads today even. So if you have to have the same FC, then why have the risk of copper?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.