Sand Filter Problems

Jun 19, 2014
What's up everyone!

So here is the deal, I shut off the Sand Filter at night and turn it back on in the morning. Upon. Startup, I notice the return lines are spraying out a bit cloudy water for awhile, taking my previously sparkling water from the SLAM to slightly cloudy.

If I leave the pump on 24/7 the pool stays clear. But when I try and save the planet and conserve energy by shutting the pump down at night I get a slightly cloudy pool!

So what's the dealey O?

Well, either there is a problem in the filter (laterals cracked, separated or too little or channeled sand) or in the backwash valve (leaking seal) or you pump is too big for your filter (you have not posted any pool info).

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I have a ball valve after my pump outlet, could I close that, say 60% and slowly open it, and that could help?

20x40 IG Vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Pentair Pump, Southwest Part of MI

One thing I am worried about is that when I built it, I used 1.5" PVC, if I had to do over I would change to 2", but no going back on that now :/

20x40 IG Vinyl 35k gal, Hayward 24" Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Jandy 1.5hp Pump, Southwest Part of MI

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not think that your pump would be too big for that filter. The smaller pipe is adding head loss which is lowering the flow rate ... so that would not be a contributing factor either.

Did you use normal pool sand?

I'm not sure what the Sand was exactly, bought it from the pool store. I do remember thinking that it looked a little coarse

20x40 IG Vinyl 35k gal, Hayward 24" Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Jandy 1.5hp Pump, Southwest Part of MI

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.