No Chlorine

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
Having read some links here, I know I need to go away and do some further testing before bugging you too much. However....can someone give me just a bullet list of things that can eat chlorine and cause a zero read out. At first I thought it was old test chemicals but am getting same with a new test kit. (not strips). Pool has be fine for years...but this year....Mustard algae (anyone else suffering in the Houston area with this problem so early in the season and a completely 'white' test water sample after the drops are added to the test sample.?

Here's my latest test samples.

All pool water - Clear (white), no pink whatsoever.

1/2 pool, 1/2 bottled spring water - Clear, no pink whatsoever.

All tap - 1CL / 2Br

1/2 pool, 1/2 tap - .5CL / 1 Br.

I'm using my standard amount of Leslies' pool pucks and put 2 lbs of shock in about 10 days ago.

I am sorry to say that the bullet list will not help now. Regardless of what the culprit is, SLAM is the answer. But, depending on the test results, we may suggest a drain/refill dance first!

So, before we can really help, we need a full set of test results, please :smile:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
:testresults:

There actually is sort of a "bullet" list that is often overlooked but is essential in understanding your pool water.

That list has two items....

1. UV from the sun

2. Organics in your pool water.

Those are the only two things that consume chlorine.......nothing else.

I take it you don't have your own test kit, and that you are still relying on Leslie's for your testing.

With that, you can count on having recurrences of cloudiness and algae.

Very strongly recommended that you purchase your own kit, either the TF-100 or K-2006. I can guarantee the it will pay for itself in one season.

I take it you don't have your own test kit, and that you are still relying on Leslie's for your testing.

With that, you can count on having recurrences of cloudiness and algae.

Very strongly recommended that you purchase your own kit, either the TF-100 or K-2006. I can guarantee the it will pay for itself in one season.

No, I do have the kits. One of them covers all the tests and has the Water Balancer wheel in it. It's a few years old, hence I thought the chlorine test results were down to old chemicals, so I bought a new basic kit for free chlorine and PH. It's been a while since I had any algae problems, to the point where I found a part used bottle of algaecide in my garage and I can't recall when I bought it, so everything has been fine for years....just all gone to pot this season. I do know my CH and CYA are up from several years ago, but I'll retest and post back.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, hopefully I've fixed the mustard algae problem. I went with a couple of packs of jacks yellow out, a little bit each week, copious amounts of pool wall scrubbing and I'm trying Clorox brand pool shock. Also cut over to Clorox bleach. I've got the free chlorine at 3 ppm now and all looks ok so far. The local Kroger now has a range of Clorox pool supplies in stock, so we'll see how that goes.
Thanks

I did get rid of all my yellow algae and spots of black algae. To anyone having problems, try Clorox pool shock and some ordinary bleach. If you have a spa connected to the pool, try dumping the bleach into the spa with the pump off. So let the bleach sit in the spa overnight, my theory is that a lot of this algae starts life in the shallower and thus warmer temps of the spa. I've got my chlorine levels back and stable and all algae has gone.

Thanks

It isn't a good idea to blindly add products without proper testing (with a recommended test kit). Given the products you are using, I'm willing to bet your CYA is sky high. A clear pool doesn't mean a sanitized pool.

I'm sure you could cut your pool chemical costs if you really switch to the TFP methods. If you are going to keep using pool store "shock" and other magic potions, expect to pay for it in time and $$$.

If you use a recommended test kit, test regularly, make adjustments as needed, you won't have to battle algae again.

I have switched to Taylor 2006 test kit and I think that it has saved me alot of headaches as far as accuracy in test results. I totally recommend it to you, easy to use, the directions are explicit. If you can count you can use this test kit with ease. :p

I thought the Clorox Pool shock was a different chemical than that supplied by Leslie's etc?

Per the MSDS, they all have the same active ingredient of trichlor which is one of the types of chlorine that includes CYA, but at different strengths.

CLOROX POOL & SPA / SHOCK QUICK / 10: Has 30 to 60% Trichlor
CLOROX POOL & SPA SUPER / SHOCK QUICK / 20: Has 40 to 70% Trichlor

Leslie's Super Shock has > 70% of Trichlor.
Leslie's Gensis Shock has around 63% of Trichlor (I couldn't find the MSDS for this one).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.