CC 0.5
Ph 8.2
CYA 50
TA 150
CH 20
Temp 75F

Using Bleach, baking soda, borax 2 years now
(Previously Baq for 15 years)

I can see the bottom of the pool, but it is not as clear as it was last year. It has had this slightly cloudy look since I opened it. I've shocked a few times.

FC Levels have been holding well, so it's not like there is algae in there burning it up. Swimmer load is light.

My wife is threatening to take a water sample to the pool store, so obviously, this slight cloudiness is a really big problem! ;)

A pic of the pool water would probably help.

You mention that you have "shocked" but have you SLAMmed the pool the way we suggest in Pool School?

An FC of 30 ppm is too high for your CYA value. Is there a reason it is that high?

My wife is threatening to take a water sample to the pool store, so obviously, this slight cloudiness is a really big problem! ;)
:shock: Good thing you got here first! :D

The pH test is not accurate with FC>10. When FC comes down, retest it.

You should do an OCLT test to rule in/out organics.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome! :wave:

I see a problem in these two statements: "just shocked again" and "I've shocked a few times."

Unless you shock the pool like you mean it, it won't stick, as you've discovered. You might have beaten the algae back a little, but you didn't kill it all, and it has reproduced and staged counterattacks.

We advocate Shock Level And Maintain. That is, raising the FC to a high level (But not as high as you've been doing) and maintaining it there, sometimes for days, until the water is clear and the other two tests indicate there is nothing else growing in the pool. It also includes a lot of brushing, to scrape off the protective slimy scab that algae grows, and cleaning out behind lights and inside and beneath ladders and stairs.

Yes, I did a SLAM to open the pool. It met all the criteria except it never got crystal clear.

I had a big pool party yesterday, tons of little kids, so I shocked it hard late last night. That's why it is at 30. I've been holding it around FC=5 for the past month.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen a CC higher than 0.5 since I opened.

The 30 is just the result of my paranoia shock after all those kids. I expected to see much higher CC this morning.

image.jpg

If you look at the right side you can see the liner fading into the cloudiness. The white drain is just barely visible (like the dot at the bottom of a CYA test tube ;) )

Hmm. That picture posted upside down.

Last edited:
Brushed the pool, left it open to the sun all day. By sundown we had:

FC: 15.5
CC: 1.5

Covered pool. This morning:

FC: 15.5
CC: 0.5

I assume that means I passed the overnight test. (Note: I've done the overnight test 3 times since I opened, and I always get no drop or 0.5 drop.)

Cloudiness remains

Added 3 jugs 8% bleach to get it back up >20 (per CYA chart). Leaving the cover on today, to eliminate sunlight (it's a really good cover).

I'm feeling skeptical that this is algae. Is there anything else that can cause cloudiness that persists like this? My kids are terrible about sunscreen. How long does it take a DE filter to clear that out?

Well, I suggest you remove the cover for at least several hours today.

How often are you cleaning the filter?

For sunscreen, you could try a scumbug in a skimmer and make the kids wait until the sunscreen is dry before they jump in. (okay, that might be a little difficult)

Please add your pool and equipment specs in your sig.

Ok, I'll open it tonight after work, brush it and check the FC.

I'm back washing the filter daily right now, dealing with this cloudiness. Normally like once a week.

Not sure what my specs all are. I'll update my sig tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, yeah. That's exactly what I'm doing, regarding backwash. Question on that: when I add DE, I see a little come back out thru the jets. Is that normal, or does it mean there is a leak in my filter (I replaced the guts of the filter last year, so a leak would be surprising)?

My water is clear. Yay!

Here is what I did:
1. Kept the SLAM going for two days past when it passed the overnight test
2. Shocked about 50% higher FC than recommended for my CYA
3. Brushed a lot
4. Backwashed and recharged my DE a lot

Dunno which of these were the key, but my water is clear now, so I don't really care!

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.