New to forum to Today! With Newbie basic questions.

DSK

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Havre De Grace, Maryland
Hello, this is my 1st post.
I have bought a house this past September with a beautiful Sullivan in ground pool that was built in 1985. I had the pool professionally closed and opened this year and have taken my water in for testing once this year. I added the recomended chemicals as per the store and will be taking another sample in tomorrow. I ordered the TFT 100 kit today so i could start doing this myself. My water has been looking and feeling well but a little cloudy. I want to add a jug of chlorine to shock it but wanted to know how long after its safe to use the pool after adding it. I know there is lots of info. to learn and follow to get into TFPS system. This being my first year with a pool I am really excited about learning to maintaining it. So here are a few newbie basic questions please.

1. How long before I can use the pool after adding liquid chlorine?
2. I have a in-line chlorinator and a good supply of In-the-swim 3" cholorine pucks I'd like to use up. Should finish with then before starting the TFPS system or can i use them in conjunction with this system?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP :)

It is generally safe to swim up to SLAM level for your CYA

To answer your question about the pucks would require a complete set of test results. Preferably from TF-100 and not the pool store as it will depend on your CYA number.

First newbie mistake: We'd like to see a full set of your current test results before recommending ANYTHING! We won't shoot you though:D Depending on your cya level, we may or may not recommend using up the tabs. Save them for weekends away or vacation for now. Half an hour after adding and circulating Bleach should be fine. Welcome to the forum and congrats on ordering a test kit we recommend.....AND....supporting the forum by becoming a Lifetime Supporter.

Welcome! :wave:

One 121 oz jug of 8.25% Clorox will only add 3 ppm Free Chlorine to your pool. That is a long way from shock level. That alone is the recommended level for a pool with no stabilizer! If you pour it into the return stream in the pool, you can go ahead and get in within ten minutes, less if you help disperse it by brushing.

Once you get that test kit in your paws, it should be easy enough to get that pool whipped into shape. :whip:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.