Kreepy Krauly Vacuum suction

kweens

Jun 29, 2014
British Columbia
I have had our pool for about 19 years and the KK is older than that. It serve me well until recently ... the last 3-4 years. I am not sure but it may correlate with the new 3/4 hp Hayward (20K gallon pool). Last year the pool tech was in the neighbourhood and he looked at my KK that would not move. He thought that the KK looked ok. He threw the KK into the pool and away it went to my amazement (10 ft/min) as it did in the old days. The pool tech observed that a hose was leaking. When we replaced the hose the KK stopped. After he left I put back the hose with the air leak and I was back in business. Since then I have been using the a leaky hose. It is very finicky of course. Too much leak and the suction drops ... so I have to "adjust" the leak to make it work at optimum. What is my problem? The suction is so strong that it is ridiculously difficult to pull the hose out of the skimmer at full suction.

I have a new pool and a new KK as well. I have a dedicated suction port in addition to the skimmer port.

The KK's come with a suction regulator that my pool builder told me not to use since I have a dedicated suction line. The regulator looks like a clear plastic thing with a spring and flap in it. It's meant yo be used when all you have is a skimmer port for vacuuming and you want to run the skimmer and KK at the same time.

So your woes could be related to too much suction especially in light of your new, solid hose not working but your old leaky one is. The leaky hose would act like a regulator in that the leaks in the hose would allow some water flow to bypass the KK.

SO if you don't have a regulator for the KK you might try getting one or borrowing one. It might solve your problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where exactly is the leak?
Is the leaky hose a multi-section Kreepy Krauley brand hose or a generic one piece vacuuming hose?
Is the leak below water or is it above water and sucking air?
Can you see either hose collapsing under vacuum?

It seems like the if you have to pull really hard on the hose to disconnect it, you may be adding to any damage and promoting leaks. Maybe you should shut off the pump before disconnecting or if you have an input selection valve, change it to the main drain position before trying to disconnect.

I have been away for a while.Sorry.i have
To have the leak above water or it will not suck air. It needs to lose suction. No, I don't pull with full suction. I reported that to reinforce the amount of suction . The regulator makes sense but will it work on the old kk? The hose is kk and rigid

I have been away for a while.Sorry.i have
To have the leak above water or it will not suck air. It needs to lose suction. No, I don't pull with full suction. I reported that to reinforce the amount of suction . The regulator makes sense but will it work on the old kk? The hose is kk and rigid

Sounds to me like you need a suction regulator valve. You can buy one that hooks up to the suction port in the skimmer and then it will split the suction so that only some suction goes to the hose attached to your KK.

Assuming you're using a standard vacuum hose and skimmer, a pool store will often carry these. Also you might call Pentair and ask them about it. I saw one on Amazon for around $40 but you should confirm it is the right part number for your model KK considering it's age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.