I think I know what was floating on top of my water.......

no-see-ums! Got a better look today and they are EVERYWHERE. All over the sides of the pool crawling, flying, etc. All over the ladder, just everywhere. They are tiny.
I guess I'll just have to learn to live with them......hope they don't stay around all summer though!

Here's a couple pics I took today....

IMG_10321.jpg

and just for scale......

IMG_1032.jpg

Anybody else have these all over??

They look like little mayfly nymphs. Have you noticed any adult mayfly's around at night time? Turn on an outside light and see if they come out of the darkness.

dan

Okay, now I really think I know. :-D I was reading over on theother forum (thepoolforum) and someone posted about weird, teeny, tiny tan bugs. Anyway, they called them "springtails" and what they described and posted pics of looks exactly like what I have. Also. apparently they like moist, damp areas and others noted they came out bad after rain or in the early spring when it was still damp and go away in the heat and dryness of summer. We just had a day or so of heavy rain andafter that is when I fisrt noticed them. They were not there before that. As a matter of fact, our ground is still somewhat damp from the rain the other day.

They mentioned that Dawn soap with water in a spray bottle will kill the so I'm going to try spraying that around the rim of my pool.

Creepy little buggers!

Weird, they have disappeared now. They came in abundance (ABUNDANCE!) after a day or two of rain. We've been dry here for 4-5 days and they have gone. None of the stuff floating on top...just nice clean water. :-D None on the railings, etc. Hmmm, I'll have to see what happens next rain.
Oh, and they could still be those mayflies. I did scoop out 2 adult ones from the pool a couple days ago. (or what looked like the pics I saw online of "mayflies" anyway)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.