HELP with an old gunnite pool that hasn't been opend since 2011

Hello:

I'm new to this forum and I need HELP. My husband and I recently moved to the Catskills. We're renting a home but with a 20x40 gunnite pool that is beautiful but, we are learning, a big mess. It hasn't been opened since 2011 and it's over 50 years old.

In the past month we have discovered it needed a new motor, new laterals for the sand filter and new sand. We did all of that. We have gotten unbelievably ripped off by the pool services that have come out. One hooked up the motor as 220 on a 115 line and we almost blew the motor out. :mad: And now we're having trouble getting a company to come because it's such a short season here. So we're trying to do it ourselves by researching online and regular calls to the nice guys at Swim King in Kingston, NY.

After quite a bit of leaf removal (bags and bags), we added chlorine, shock, algacide, flock and let it settle. We still can't see the bottom, but we do have more visibility. About 3 feet. It has a black bottom and it's very deep so we're not sure we'll ever see the bottom. Right now all the readings (chlorine, ph, alkaline, stabilizer) are correct.

Now we have been running the filter for about 20 hours total. We have been back washing regularly, but we don't see sediment in the glass eye piece. Does that seem odd to you? The filter seems to be running correctly with a lot of suction coming out and going in.

We know we can't vacuum until we can see the bottom, but the pool isn't clearing and in fact, this morning, after letting it run for 10 hours, it's a little less clear.

Any suggestions for what to do? We have been working on this for over a month and don't feel closer to having a pool. We got it in our heads to have a nice pool this summer, but now we're wondering if we shouldn't let the thing stay covered.

In all my searching on line I have had a learned a lot from this forum so I'm looking forward to any help you can provide.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

Skip the floc, that isn't helping.

The important things are to get all the solid debris out of the pool you possibly can and to maintain the FC level. Then it is mostly a matter of giving the filter time to do it's job. It could easily take the filter two weeks to clear up the water, even if everything else is already dealt with. As long as the water is visibly improving, even a little, from day to day you are on the right track.

You can vacuum blind. That isn't as effective as regular vacuuming, but it is well worth doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.