Just starting new pool with swg

joeam

Jun 5, 2014
Mcgregor Tx
I have my salt in and have been adding cya have added 4lbs and im running pump only to circulate salt. Should I get some liquid bleach and muratic acid for when I start swg this afternoon at 3:00 pm will be my 24hrs? HELP please If so how much should I add?

Hi Joeam,
what Jason is saying is that we cant tell what and how much to add without knowing what your the levels for Ph and FC or anything else are. We would need to have some test results.

In the absence of them, all we can do is point you to the pool math calculater and use the reccommended levels as a guide. Links below.
To use the calculator
Enter your gallons in the spot for it at top left
At the bottom where is says "suggested goal levels" select Vinyl.
In the NOW column down the left side, enter your test result reading for each water parameter
In the GOAL column, jus to the right of the "NOW" enter your goal or target to where you want to get to.
Then click the calculate button. The Pool Math will tell you how much and what to add for each water parameter.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Here is a link to TFP's recommended levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Also its highly recommened to start learning how to manage and care for your pool using the TFP method. Start with teh ABC's and then progress from there. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

I recommend adding 4 ppm of chlorine, about 2 quarts of 8.25% bleach, to the pool and then turning on the SWG.

Your PH is a little low, but will almost certainly go up on it's own. When the PH gets up to 7.8, probably in a few days, lower it back down to 7.2.

Good deal Joeam,

you will need to test your water at least once a day for a week, or maybe more. By testing daily, you will learn what your pool is doing and what you need to adjust.
Test your water each evening for FC and PH. If your FC is below your recommended minimum, then either set the pump run time longer, or increase the precent output on the SWG so that you maintian the Chlorine as you need to.

After testing for a week or howver long and you learn what your FC consumption is and about how quickly your Ph goes up, you can cut back on your testing to every couple or 3 days.

ok folks here are my test results this am Fc .4 CC.4 PH 7.4 TA130 CH120 Here is what I have done so far I added 280 lbs of salt 6 lbs of cya with sock method 3quarts of bleach and I have ran the swg for probably 8 hours where should my numbers be?
and what should I do next I just started a boost on swg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wondering if I put this in the wrong place to get answers? sorry if I did mods can you move it where it's supposed to go. I went ahead and added the rest of the 121 oz 8.25% bleach so total bleach added is 121oz I did this after I noticed a green ring appear just above the water line on the liner opposite side of pool from the pump it wipes away algae?? HELP

Hi Joeam. sorry for the late check in. Been a long day.
If you have algae, you need to take the FC to slam level.
Once you get it to SLAM, you need to try as hard as you can to keep it there. You need to test often in order to know how much chlorine loss is happening and use pool math which I previously gave you a link, to figure out how much chlorine to add.

There are 3 cirteria for passing the Slam and being done with it.
1. You have to have clear water
2. You must have less than .5 cc
3. you must pass the overnight chlorine loss test. (OCLT).

So algae is algae and the only thing I can do is slam im going to have to get some bleach then and start tomorrow dang my luck!!!

I have Clear water and my cc was .2 this afternoon just noticed the green ring I brushed the whole pool and added some more bleach in hopes that would take care of it

If your water is clear and your CC low, then it should go quick. If you care to swim, its safe to do so up to slam level FC.

So algae is algae and the only thing I can do is slam im going to have to get some bleach then and start tomorrow dang my luck!!!

I have Clear water and my cc was .2 this afternoon just noticed the green ring I brushed the whole pool and added some more bleach in hopes that would take care of it

First test showed FC=26.5 second shows FC=30 my question is my water has always been clear and my CC is steady at .2 How long should I maintain the shock level? My original problem was a green ring that formed just above the water line!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.