Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
OK I realized I may take some heat for asking this question but here is goes.

I understand we don't need to use Algicide when properly using the TFP method and that it's just a waste of money. I get that when your pool numbers are good and you have no issues. But suppose you have come to the conclusion that you need to SLAM. Why would it be a bad idea to use a bottle of algicide before you need to SLAM just to get a little kick start in killing the Alge before pouring tons of bleach when SLAMing. Seems to me it would and could reduce the time and amount of bleach needed to SLAM the pool. Or does it have negative affects? What am I missing?

Algaecide is a preventative product (and doesn't do well for that, even), not an algae killer. The best thing anyone has found for killing algae is chlorine.

Forget the magic potions.

Adjust your pH to 7.2 and start your SLAM.

Main thing is that algaecide isn't that "strong" -- it can help to stop an algae bloom from starting but it's generally not going to have a lot of effect stopping an active algae bloom.

You also see a bunch of odd posts like "why is my pool foaming ??" that often trace back to algaecide.

Also, some algaecides contain metals that could cause stains and they could cause foaming. Foaming would cause more 'stuff' to be oxidized, needing more bleach. Vicious circle. btw, we only recommend one algaecide when needed and that is Polyquat 60 - rarely needed. Sometimes when closing and always with AA treatments.

ETA: Boy, you guys are fast! :shock:

Thanks, that explains it. Didn't realize it doesn't kill alge. I agree that it's a waste of money, stopped using that **** 2 years ago and never had any issues since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.