DE Filter Fingers

Jun 5, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck or tips for repairing a DE filter fingers. My fingers have popped seams (this seems to happen on the regular with this particular manufacturer) and I'm unsure how to proceed to fix them. The hole is about 2" long. Would an RTV type material work in this setting? Sew it up with a specific type of thread? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, that sig is old. The pump is a 1HP (the 2HP pump died due to bad bearings - apparently it happened a lot with that particular motor; it was before I knew about this website and purchased a pump from the recommendations of employees at Namco). The problem is that Namco is now out of business in this area and it will take at least two weeks to order the parts from someone online. I am hoping to use a quick fix until the new ones come in. My filter is a Clearwater II DE filter with 18" fingers.

So a few weeks ago I had my grandmother stitch them up with carpet thread (really thick, heavy duty stuff). It worked like a charm... but I just took my filter apart again to clean and I have another ripped seam, same location. Pump pressure never goes higher than 12 PSI (10 without DE, 12 with) so I don't think it could be the pressure. What could be causing this short of shoddy manufacturing?

Edit - additional information: This is the new finger set, already one seam busted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.