Finally up and warming enough to enjoy

xanadu

Jun 24, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Here is pics of our new 16' Ultra, along with the roll cover, and solar panel set up. The sun has finally come out and warmed things up enough to swim. The new 4'x20' solar panel puts out quite a bit of hot water on a sunny day. well worth the $180.

Nice! I have a solar panel but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm not sure how I want to do it. I can't decide if I should run it off the existing pump (I have the same one as you) or put it on its own smaller dedicated pump. How do you have your solar panel connected? Are those garden hoses? Can you post some close up photos of your connections? Thanks.

Nice! I have a solar panel but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm not sure how I want to do it. I can't decide if I should run it off the existing pump (I have the same one as you) or put it on its own smaller dedicated pump. How do you have your solar panel connected? Are those garden hoses? Can you post some close up photos of your connections? Thanks.

If you look at the last photo you will see I put a y-tee inline and a ball valve to adjust pressure flow rate to the solar panel. I decided not to use the second hookup as the "inlet" for the hot water from the solar panel, so just left it for now, closed of course. I decided that I would rather have the hose hanging into the pool so I can monitor the output.

Yes, just rubber 5/8" garden hose. From the tee I put a hose to the inlet of the sola panel, then on the outlet of the solar I put another hose going directly into the pool. This way I still have lots of circulation from the pool outlet, plus have water going through the panel for heating.

Last edited:
OK I see how you did it. I'd like to do something similar. I don't want all my filtered water to run through the solar panel, so a splitter and ball valve makes sense. I like the idea of using garden hose. I'll have to look for connectors that will connect garden hose to my solar panel, or make my own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.