Duration of Pool Pump

BB BMW

May 14, 2013
Alabama (Roll Tide)
I've been in my house for around 20 years now. The pool was new with the house. Since being here, I've had to replace the pump 5 times now.
I've had Hayward 1HP max flo and Hayward 1HP super pumps during this time.

How long should a Hayward Super Pump last? I know there are varying circumstances but an estimate would be helpful.
I live in Alabama, so it doesn't get real cold for long periods of time here. When I close the pool for the winter, I remove all of the pump plugs, I plug the pool inlet jets, strainer hole, etc. Then drain the sand filter and lines. Do I need to try a different pump that may be better and last longer?

The pump location is about 5 feet below the water level and around 20 feet to the first inlet jet and return.

THanks for any advice or suggestions.

Seems excessive. What kind of failures are you seeing that cause you to replace the pump? Most of the time the motor bearing gets wet and rusts from a leaking seal, but that can be repaired.

Not really sure what caused the failures. I took one Super Pump to be repaired and was told it was beyond repair. It had totally seized up, then I think burned up insides.
1 or 2 started making squealing noises before failing but ran for a few weeks or month or so before quitting.

In my experience the motors are typically good for around 5-7 years, and the wet ends 10+ years. Motors are easy to swap, takes about 5-10 minutes, on the Super Pumps, it is just 8 bolts, unscrew and change out the impeller / impeller seal and swap over the electrical connection.

My 15 year old 1 HP max flo just started making noise last year. Planning on swapping motor this year as the wet end is still good to go. Yours should certainly last more than a couple years! How long are you running your pump daily? Since my motor is so loud this year I've cut back run time and realized it only needs to run 3 or 4 hours to do a good job keeping pool clean...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.