Pump Life Expectancy

Apr 16, 2014
Missouri
My pool is going on 4th season and it sounds like my Hayward Super pump is going out...it runs but sounds like it is grinding more than it did when new. How long do pumps usually last? This is dual speed and rune 24/7 on low setting and only on high when using slide or putting in acid.

Hello,
Exposure is the biggest limiting factor. Exposure to the elements, a worn/leaking shaft seal these are the cause of motor failure. The wet end of the pump is pretty bullet proof, you typically have a skimmer basket that filters out the larger stuff, then you have the pool pump basket that catches smaller items, then what goes through is small enough to pass through the impeller. Impeller wear is really not an issue, unless you're not filtering out the debris.

So pumps tend to fail on the dry side, the motor. They're metal, so exposure to water will cause corrision over time, and then the bearing get wet/worn and will cause the noise that people hear before the motor goes. As the bearing wear, it causes heat to build up in the windings, this heat starts to break down the insulation, then you get winding failure. No cost effective fix for winding failure. New motor.
Bearing can be fixed, relatively inexpensively, time consuming, not hard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dswCzYlmNE

So the expectancy varies from a few years to 7 or more. More if you change out the shaft seal every few years as preventative maintenance.
http://www.wilesroad.com/tuneup.html

I've got no connection with links provided.

Given that you are running 24x7 I would say 4-5 years is typical, and it is likely time for a replacement motor, assuming there are no cracks or leaks in the wet end. Swapping out motors is easy, you don't even have to disconnect any of the plumbing, just 8 bolts, unscrew the impeller, and swap out the electrical connection.

You can only use a smaller motor if you also change to a smaller impeller. That may indeed be a good idea.

If your 2 speed pump is 1.5 HP on high, it is 0.1875 HP on low speed.

Also, a two speed pump can save you a dramatic amount of money, so I'm not sure why you would want to switch to a single speed.

You can only use a smaller motor if you also change to a smaller impeller. That may indeed be a good idea.

If your 2 speed pump is 1.5 HP on high, it is 0.1875 HP on low speed.

Also, a two speed pump can save you a dramatic amount of money, so I'm not sure why you would want to switch to a single speed.

I am having a hard time finding a replacement motor for it...I will make some more calls Monday and see what I can find so I can stick with the 2 speed..I did not know it was that low HP when on low which is where I leave it most of the time. Thanks for pointing that out and saving me some $$$$

My above ground pool is 12 years old, so I have some experience here.

As others have said, the wet side is very durable. The impeller and pump housing will last forever, so long as the strainers are removing the big chunks of debris, and you don't let it freeze with water in it. The seal on the ceramic impeller bearing will start to leak after several years, but it is cheap and easy to replace. Go ahead and replace the ceramic bearing at the same time.

Far and away the weakest link is the front bearing in the motor. If you leave the pump outdoors over the winter, it will fail about every four years. While the bearing is cheap and straightforward to replace, it is not easy (at least on my pump motor). Bring the pump indoors for the winter and it will last a long time.

Pump motor switches also fail fairly often. The in-rush current and inductive load nature of the motor just eats mechanical contacts up. Nothing you can do about this really.

Other failures I've had (and fixed):

1. The foam gasket on the moving plate in the multi-valve came loose from the plate and tore. The whole plate assembly can be replaced for not too much money.
2. The shaft on the multi-valve plate snapped. Again, the whole plate assembly isn't terribly expensive. You do need a big vise or c-clamps to hold the valve unit together (strong spring!) while re-assembling.
3. The crappy hoses that came with the pool failed after about 4 years. I use some sort of hoses from Rural King (a farm supply store) that has hard spiral plastic on the outside. It lasts forever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.