CYA help

Jul 5, 2008
Bucyrus, Ohio
Well I still have a crystal clear pool which is a miracle for me considering I havent seen the bottom of my pool in almost a year. But my question is about CYA. I added 22 oz about 2 weeks ago and got a reading of 37ppms. Problem: I can hold chlorine all nite but from the time the sun hits it and evening falls..I go from 5ppms to .5ppms, do I add more CYA at this time? Other question is...I have read and used the sock method but I see where some are saying put it(sock) in skimmer and others say infront of the return, does it matter and is one way better than other?

With CYA at 37 I would only expect you to lose about 60% of your FC to sunlight each day. How are you measuring CYA? Some of the tests are rather imprecise.

Unless you know that you are going to have to backwash/clean the filter in the next week it is simplest to pour CYA slowly directly into the skimmer.

I would go ahead and try adding some more CYA.... if it's a sand filter and pressure is an issue use the sock method. Go ahead and shot for 50ppm. In some areas pools do better at the higher end of the CYA range, when weather is more of a factor (full sun, etc.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.