Pentair Intelli Low flow - Plumbing Issue??

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
My neighbor recently got a Pentair Intelli SWG added to their pool. She is struggling with low flow. The pool store that she uses (working on breaking her habit of that) has her backwashing her DE filter frequently, replaced fingers, etc. I stopped over today to take a look. While I am no where near an expert, to me, I see a plumbing issue potentially causing this. Her pressure runs about 10 consistently.

The water comes out of the filter and towards the heater, where she has it valved off:

It then runs to a tee, which splits the flow to the two inlets. One returns to pool, the other to the SWG and then to the pool. I feel this is problem #1. The second thing I do not think is good is the hard 90 that is placed immediately exiting the SWG as it returns to the pool.

I would appreciate some input from an expert as to validation, or other potentials from a plumbing perspective.

Thank you!

This poor lady already has over $600 in STUFF that the pool store told her she needed. This makes me sick and I am trying to help her, but it is a difficult job to convince. People are conditioned that this is the way it is with chemicals/costs... :mad:

On the outdoor side that looks like a heater bypass which is currently setup to bypass the heater. I'm assuming the heater is to the left of the picture.

On the inside photo I see what looks like a spring check valve on the pipe before the T leading to the SWG. Those can restrict flow a fair bit, and it probably isn't needed in the first place.

A filter pressure of 10 isn't bad.

What speed is the IntelliFlo being run at?

Correct, the heater is to left and is currently bypassed. She indicated the issue was worse when flowing through heater. There is a check valve as you stated. My apologize for the confusion. It is a single speed pump. My use of Intelli was for the SWG. Intellichlor.

I am just not liking that Tee. Thoughts?

if there is a Tee in front of the SWG, one leg going to the pool and the other to the SWG, then it seems to me that would greatly lower the flow.
even if it didnt fix the low flow, I would consider removing the Tee. That just makes no sense to me anyhow.

Alright,that means that the SWG should have been installed before the T that splits to the two return outlets. As it is the SWG is getting less than half of the available flow rate. The spring check valve is also not helping any, though that would not be the primary issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.