Hayward Variable Speed Pump recomendations

May 17, 2014
Canada
Newbie Here and find this site very helpful.

I need some recommendations on a new variable speed replacement pump. I have searched this site and googled the new Hayward VS pumps and was about to purchase the Haywars Super Pump VS (SP2600VSP) but then read some reviews / comments that the timer / programming is very limited and restrictive.
The Hayward site has so many levels of VS pumps but the EcoStar etc ones are just out of my price level.

Does anyone on here have any experience / comments of the Super Pump VS or the MaxFlo VS? I was looking on Amazon and the prices seem to be the best - any other place/site I should be looking?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend the MaxFlo VS when you do not have an automation system and also don't have a spa. The less expensive VS pumps don't play well with automation systems, and have a middling max power (not a problem for a normal pool) but with those two constraints are very good choices.

By the by, if I remember electricity costs very little in Canada. If so, you will never pay back the extra up front costs of a VS pump compared to a two speed pump. When electrical rates are low, a two speed pump is the most economical.

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend the MaxFlo VS when you do not have an automation system and also don't have a spa. The less expensive VS pumps don't play well with automation systems, and have a middling max power (not a problem for a normal pool) but with those two constraints are very good choices.

By the by, if I remember electricity costs very little in Canada. If so, you will never pay back the extra up front costs of a VS pump compared to a two speed pump. When electrical rates are low, a two speed pump is the most economical.

Thank you for the input. The MaxFlo VS pump is only $35 cheaper than the Super Pump VS.

What I have been unsuccessful in finding is a comparison of the 2 pumps - side by side specs etc and to which one is the better buy. Anyone out there have that info?

They are VERY similar ... The Maxflo is a little more efficient and happens to cost less.

BUT, as Jason said above, a VS pump may not be the best option for you. Likely a 2-speed pump would be a better upgrade because they are cheaper up front and save a vast majority of the electrical power. Even cheaper would be to just put a 2 speed motor on you existing pump.

thanks mas985 but when I click on the link I get this message:

rlaidlaw4, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Not sure how to rectify this??

My mistake. Here is the main content. It is a table the compares the economics of various pumps:

PumpEnergyCosts10.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.