Bill from NY

Jun 19, 2014
NY
Hello all

I've recently bought a pool which just so happened to come with a house (really starting to feel that way). My fiance thought it would be nice to keep since we have a big family with lots of kids, so I'm trying to learn all I can. This forum has been a huge help and I'm using the BBB method.

The pool itself was in horrid shape. "covered" for two years, blacker then coal, and without anything except an old sand filter.

20,000 gallon 28ft above ground
1 skimmer (Hayward) 1 return
1 1/2 hp Hayward Power Flo pump (the one without an on/off switch)
Hayward 180t Sand Filter with brand new valves (old one wouldn't even turn)

Current levels
FC over 5.0 (my kit test tube only goes to 5, but my ball park strip test shows 20 so guessing somewhere between)
CC same as above.
TA 80
CYA 90 (I've been draining to skimmer bottom and refilling to lower the level slowly)
PH 7.2 (having a **** of a time getting it raised to 7.5)

I'm a big outdoors guy and cook so the deal was if I get this pool running I get to build me backyard brick oven! Let make it happen folks :)

A good test kit that we recommend is your best friend in helping you obtain that brick BBQ! Impossible to accurately maintain SLAM level without the fas-dpd chlorine test. No way to know what your true CC level is either with the one you have. You'll be much better off dropping that cya level with a larger water exchange than a couple inches at a time. Welcome to the forum.

Probably a dumb question, but I figure I'd throw it out here. Should I drain the pool if it starts over flowing from the skimmer lid? Its above ground and there isn't a separate drain.

Figure I could throw the filter to waste and "pump" out enough after the rain ends.

You will do so much better with the investment of the TF100 test kit. It is the number one tool you will use every day of the summer. Without it, everything is a guessing game.