Old fiberglass spa, cracks, and black spots

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I haven't been round these parts for a while but my dad passed away last week and I am now dealing with his fiberglass spa that I can not get clear of CC regardless of all that I've tried. High chlorine, mustard levels even.
I can't afford the electricity to continuously run the spa and am giving up. It is currently draining slowly and I see what look like black algae spots in the cracks but they so not scrape off, nor do they smear of course.
I have been able to scrub some of them off with a green scratchy and I plan to attach them with straight bleach once I get more water out. It doesn't seem to respond well, but perhaps I didn't wait long enough.

When I got here to care for my dad full time the spa had 0 chlorine and 0 cya. I began treating it with testing guiding me. Got 20ppm cya into it and it finally was able to hold onto chlorine better. But no joy with cc. Always at or over 1ppm. Brushing into tiles needing to be re grouted, cleaning cartridge filter, and sad brushing left no joy. between caring 24/7 for my rapidly declining father, his death and the **** that goes along with all that I just ran it at 16ppm or higher most of the time. When I could keep it at that level, that is. In the end, nothing has truly helped. I didn't really even notice the black till today. It's been a hellacious 2.5 weeks for me and I make no excuses for the mistakes I am making. Can't hardly even remember the dogs names...

With all that said, here are my questions:

Do I use a wire brush on this?
Is it too deep in the cracks to be treatable?
What could it be if it doesn't scrape off?
What can be done for the cracks to prevent it again should I successfully treat it?
Should I trash the spa?
Thanks!
uzere2y9.jpg

du7e8e4e.jpg

ehu3eta4.jpg

e9ypaqum.jpg

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad frogabog! My deepest sympathies and condolences.

I wish I could help you but I know nothing about spas. Someone will be along shortly, I'm sure, to help you.

Very kind of you Casey. Thank you. We lost mom last November, suddenly. This time with dad it was known but not when. Then suddenly it's bad and then he's gone a week later. We actually thought I'd be here full time for much longer but now it's just me and the kids and 17 rooms of things... and this spa that once was upside down in my back yard for 10 years. Dad made it work. And had issues with the heater after using an in line tablet feeder. Got new boiler and switched to di-chlor and ozone I believe. Ozone is off now I think and I had him switched to bleach but it appears that he forgot about the cya component. He was just using bleach I think, and in the last few months too sick and lonely to even care or use it much.
I ought to take a pic of his pump house. My dad was a freakin genius and could make anything work. Could fix anything even if it meant jacking it with something weird...
Today he is being viewed at funeral home. Again tomorrow. We accidentally gave him a t shirt to wear the last two days that just happened to be his "I came, I saw, I fixed it" shirt. They washed it and gave to me today. It's on his casket for tomorrow.
Anyway, I've got a freak show of a spa here with radio and tv, even. Octagonal and old. Replacement involves full enclosure tear out.
If i have to gouge out the fiberglass and re-resin it, I can. Just prefer not to of course.

Am baffled by no scrape no smear component. Black algae scrapes and smears green, this does not. I wonder if it is plain old mold?
Ok. To make this thread epic... here's some more pics:
anedyqes.jpg
heby9a9u.jpg

rabeqeje.jpg

2u8yvepu.jpg

5asary4e.jpg
eja9y3a2.jpg

I know I have a small leak at the heater inlet shown above.
azegeqa7.jpg

And a bigger one here at the small pump which isn't quite aligned with piping.
My father in law is coming to take a look on monday. He used to be a plumber.
Significant oxidation and rust has encased the suction side of the pvc at the big pump as well.
As a finale, and just for kicks and giggles check out the panel:
taheduzy.jpg

Well it appears that the ozone is still functional. It's lit up green. Hmmm...

Any ideas are welcome.

Well it appears that tapatalk doesn't allow post editing. Sorry for the dupes and sideways pics. I didn't realize they wouldn't auto adjust with tapatalk image insert. Will fix my posts when I'm near a puter.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother too.

I've never seen a spa like that!

Seriously... no one has. Till now. LOL
And thanks. It is... what it is. I am good at acceptance by now.

Water was replaced. We scrubbed everything and attacked the black with bleach. It didn't really respond to anything but scrubbing. I'm leaning towards actual mold as opposed to black algae. Rinsed and refilled. ~25ppm cya (Pacific northwest, we don't need a lot of cya here), jacked it up to 15ppm fc. 4 teenage boys and 11 yo girl went in (they scrubbed it with me). Lost 5.5 ppm after that. Very late today (12pm) tested at 7.5ppm. Still at .5ppm cc tho.
Was covered last night since I'm not shocking.
We shall see if it was enough...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.