Intex pump on 14" takes it's final bow.

Well this sucks, the pump on my sand filter just seized. It started, sounded very loud/noisy, then like a garbage disposal, then like plastic on plastic, and then buzzzzzzzzzz... I know a seized electric motor when I hear one... ran across the yard to turn it off.

if anyone can help please I've followed things so far here to get it apart; however, I'm stuck:. ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ump-Make-Noise?p=684105&viewfull=1#post684105

Otherwise I'm looking at $113+tax+shipping for a new one from Intex directly...

OR

I am looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Sand-Fi...11700&sr=8-59&keywords=intex+replacement+pump $168 +whatever
Keep in mind that this is only a 14ft 48" pool so I don't think I need to have anything much larger... if anything the 1600 was too much.

HELP

This year has been really very difficult all the way around... just wanted an easy pool setup this year... sigh. :( :cry:
Bright side - I finally got a chance to get in the pool late last night... until the mosquitoes showed up... yikes.

I could have bought season-passes for the family to the local water-park at this point and been better off.

Right now I have the tiny cartridge filter pump setup so at least I can recirculate the water, to bad the thing has to run for 6 hours at a time to get the pool clean.

WC

I can't help on your decisions to fix or to replace but wanted to wish you well. Personally, I'd rather have the pool than a season pass anywhere. :cool: Just thought I'd throw that out there. lol

:wave: Hellow Casey.
Looking at replacement pumps at various places online and trying to find anything that will work.

Even if I can repair the current pump, I think a replacement might be a better long term solution and I can put it in storage as a spare

Thus, for replacement I'm looking to the experts for sizing, pump reliability, trust worthy places to purchase from, etc...
See I know the one I linked to is sold by Amazon and available thru Amazon; thus I know I can trust the sale and expect reasonable customer service from Amazon - even if it is an Intex product.

I'm not so sure about all of these other sites, or if the size of the new sand-filter is ok... even trying to find a new pump motor it looks like the replacement from Intex is the cheapest.
arrrggghhh
At least I didn't cut the liner this year and put in the larger bulkhead fittings so hooking up the small 1K filter was easy.

Intex hasn't won any friends here with me... figure I purchased the sand filter in May2014 and it rand for 3 or 4 months top, 2013 same run time, and then barely two weeks... so at the most, 8 months of 10hr run-times for 2400 hours... for what I purchased it for from Walmart ... that's $25/mo considering in the lab I have $4000 pumps that have rand 7/24/365 for 20years... that's $20/mo; however, those pumps are still running and will run another 10 to 20 years with proper upkeep. However I'm ranting.

Intex pumps have a 2 year warranty. Call Intex and see what they will do.

I bought my Intex sand filter from "vminnovations" directly. Best pricing I found and free shipping. I was a little leary, because I'd never heard of them. Found they had excellent BBB rating and seller reviews on Amazon, so I went for it. Perfect transaction, no issues.

Intex pumps have a 2 year warranty. Call Intex and see what they will do.

I bought my Intex sand filter from "vminnovations" directly. Best pricing I found and free shipping. I was a little leary, because I'd never heard of them. Found they had excellent BBB rating and seller reviews on Amazon, so I went for it. Perfect transaction, no issues.

1st thing I tried was calling them...

Expired in May of this year.
The lovely lady with a very "indian" accent was so very sorry to learn of the problem with the pump; however, it's out of warranty and there was nothing she could do to help me but she gave me the part number for the replacement pump and the website to order it from as they, regretfully, do not take orders over the phone. She was kind enough to get a "supervisor" who also commiserated with me about the demise of the pump; however, he points out that there has to be a limit to the warranty and that they really must stick to that limit even if it's just by a single day... "sir, you must understand, the line must be drawn somewhere..."

Also learned that the "extended" 2 year warranty I purchased from WalMart was absolutely worthless. Seems that because Intex only exchanges the pumps, the labor coverage of the "extended" warranty started upon the date of purchase so that I would cover any labor charges. So, anyone out there that was conned into purchasing the extended warranties through WalMart (for any product and doubly so for any handheld, portable, or electronic item which do not have an extended warranty - despite what WalMart Sales people might tell you... learned that today too), be aware that unless your manufacture's warranty "expressly states" that it covers labor charges, then your extended warranty is most likely useless... got to read the fine print... seems that the word "repair" does not include "labor" in as far as the underwriters are concerned.

I agree with the Intex people on the fact that, a two year warranty is a two year warranty. But you must have purchased in 2012 for it to be up. Unless they were just going by serial number based on lack of receipt. I've never bought a extended warranty from anywhere for anything, your explanation of the Walmart one kind of sums them up for me.

Well if youre considering a new Intex pump check out the pricing at vminnovations.

I agree with the Intex people on the fact that, a two year warranty is a two year warranty. But you must have purchased in 2012 for it to be up. Unless they were just going by serial number based on lack of receipt. I've never bought a extended warranty from anywhere for anything, your explanation of the Walmart one kind of sums them up for me.

Well if youre considering a new Intex pump check out the pricing at vminnovations.

I certainly agree that a contract is a contract. However, it's good customer service to help the consumer out if the warranty or service contract has "just expired" for small items and the price of the pump isn't $113Manf more likely less than $30 from what I can tell now that I have it open, and most of that from the copper.

I've purchased a few extended warranties; however, these were for laptops and from a local company that has once even made good on the manufacture's warranty and didn't charge it against my extended warranty. If I can plug them here: Nebraska Furniture Mart. Frankly if they carried pool supplies I drive the 2-1/2hours to pick it up! (for a small fee, like $20 they'll even delver some things to where I live... it's on a schedule so it's not immediate; however, they brought the washer and dryer out, set them up and leveled, took the old ones out from the basement (bless those two guys!) and when they found out we were donating the old ones (they still worked just too small for the number of kids we have now :) ) to a family that had lost everything in a fire, they even took the old ones out to the charity where things were being collected (hope I don't get them in trouble for that... however, I Mrs.B. and her family that owns NFM have a philanthropic reputation)

Thank for the VMInovations... using them as a baseline for cost now.

I just cannot get that impeller off the shaft - need a strap wrench and a bench vise to hold the rotor I think... in the meantime that little 637R filter pump is earning it's money, ran all night last night after the kids swam. Need to check the FC and pH yet today.

Well, I cannot get the impeller to come off the shaft.
I think Intex must have supper-glued the silly thing on.
I do know now for a fact that the front bearing is gone - back one solid as a rock where as the front one just wiggles and tilts and makes for an interesting grinding feeling... . Know idea about the wet-side seals - I've some questions that I'll ask here
((( Repair part Follow-up Questions ))) to keep the information sorted.

So I give up for the time being and start really looking for a replacement system. Find that our local Menards had the Intex-2100GPH-SF(28645EG) (website - 2 instock) for the same price as VMInovations... so I trucked on down, thinking, 2 instock only $30 more than the replacement from Intex, it's a modest upgrade from the 1600gph, maybe it'll stir the pool up better... yea all will be good in pool land again.

Both sold... :cry:

so I ordered the one in my OP from Amazon, it's slightly less than VNInovations price... so I hope my little pump holds out for the next week as I read now it appears that the little ones were not made very well either...

I think I'll build a little enclosure around this pump to protect it from the elements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.