Preparing for pool install this wed, but have a question

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
Ok, so long at last...the pool has been delivered and the install day is Wed.

The installers I am using...I have watched them set up a pool and they did a great job! however....I had one big issue with something they did that I need some advise on.

When installing the pool, every install I have seen on here has been done by using the blocks under the uprights.

This company does not use blocks. Instead, what they do is mix up some cement, and spread it thick on the bottom plates with packed sand underneath.

When asked about this method, the response was "over the years of doing this in our area, we have watched the pools that have been installed using the blocks, and as the sand settles and gets washed out, we have seen liners damaged by the blocks so we switched to this method and have not seen any issues when doing it this way. We feel this is the best way for the life of the liner in this area."

He sounds pretty convincing when speaking to him and I do believe that HE believes this. I just still question this simply because I have not seen this done this way anywhere else!

What are your thoughts about this?

Steve

I have never heard of this method but I can attest to bricks moving. My pool was professionally installed in March. Perfectly leveled by digging down. After a month of rain, I noticed last week that three of the bricks have been washed out from under the legs. Two aren't bad but one is definitively pushing into the liner. I have decided to turn a blind eye and leave it alone until it causes a problem. If someone has found a way to eliminate this problem, I would trust them. He's definitely right about the potential for them to end up under the liner.

I do have to tell you that with our last pool we had a problem with the blocks and liner. After a while we could feel the corners and edges of the blocks under the liner. I was VERY careful when I brushed and vacuumed the pool the pool in the three areas it happened in.

As we got to looking at how they installed the pool they did not put the blocks level with the sand. They just put them ON TOP of the sand! When we got the new pool I knew more about what to ask for and look for. They leveled the whole pool floor with a slight slope towards the main drain AND put the blocks level with the top of the sand. It has worked much better!

I am not sure I really understand what they are doing------" mix up some cement, and spread it thick on the bottom plates with packed sand underneath"

Do you mean they put the cement ON the plates? They packed the sand under the plates? How far around the plate does the cement extend?

Interesting idea but with the big rains and settling of the pool I am not sure about the long tern of it. Can you ask them to tell you of a pool or two you can look at and talk to the owners that were done a year ago? Just an idea.

Kim

You do not have bottom plates on that pool! You have a plastic boot that the bottom rails slide into and the wall fits into the rails and the support clicks down into that boot. Open your box and look at those boots. If I remember correctly, they are hollow inside. I would have to go back through my pics to see if I have a pic of them which I doubt. You are better off buying the pavers in my humble opinion.

I don't have pics of them so I can't see what the underside looks like.

Kimkat, how long did the pool last with the bricks poking through? I spent so much time dealing with leveling issues with the intex, I cannot even think about dealing with this one. I do feel a little better knowing the terrain is part of the problem.

This was the pool we had BEFORE I found TFP. I ruined it with the help from the pool store :( I had NO idea what I was doing and the pool paid the price. My CYA was SO high that it dry rotted the liner WITH water in it! I think it was over 300 and the pool store told me to just take out an inch or so of water and refill and all would be good!

I was walking in the pool with the vacuum and I started seeing my liner bottom cracking everywhere! The water went out fast once it found/made a way out.

So long story to tell you that the blocks show no real sign of causing a problem BUT I was very careful in the areas.

My set up now is MUCH better in so many ways! TFP has made my life much better! THANKS!

Kim

Not sure if dry rot is the correct term but that is sure what it looked/acted like. tiny cracks all over the bottom of the liner that just all came apart in spectacular fashion! Not something I want to happen again and it will NOT due to TFP!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.