Need Advice - New to TFP

Jun 26, 2014
Clearwater, FL
‘Discovered TFP this week and have spent many hours reading posts and advice. We have been here a year. I am new to pools and have had only pool supply store advice to date. Other than pH and FC, I have had little understanding of balanced chemistry. ‘Have battled black algae a couple of times and switched to dichlor recently. I’ve been told the only sure way to really combat the black algae is to resurface the pool., but I’d like to get another year out of it.

I metal wire-scrubbed the blazes out of it about a month ago which raised the TA to 130. Lots of acid got it down, but the FC keeps getting eaten up.
I’d like to go to borate supported chemistry, but found my CYA over 100 on last analysis. Consequently, I drained and replaced 70% of my water yesterday and today. I am waiting on my borate test strips.

Here is a summary of past month:
5/15 FC 2, CC 2, CH 200, CYA 45, TA 90, pH 7.4, phos 2000
5/28 FC 0, CC 0, CH 220, CYA 90, TA 130, pH 7.4, phos 500
6/25 FC 5, CC 5, CH 180, CYA 100, TA 70, pH 7.4, phos 2500

So, with 70% fresh tap water and liquid chlorine adjustment to 5 this morning, here is where I am at this afternoon.
6/27/ FC 1, CC 1, CH 140, CYA 25, TA 130, pH 7.4, phos 600

Am I on the right track to assume that I need to adjust FC, get TA down to 50 (I forgot to shut off water softener), then get the pH back up? Does it matter if I use dry acid or muriatic acid to get the TA down?

Should I use dichlor to pick up the FC, so that I get a small bump in CYA, then start to work on the Borate when I get the test strips in a couple of days?

Thanks for reading all this. I appreciate that you folks are here. -- dbriefly

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

What are you using to get these test results?

You have black algae because your CYA was very high and your FC was really low. That was an invitation to :party: at dbriefly's pool and that is what it is doing. It's there now and the only way you can get rid of it is to SLAM that 1CC out of your pool, keep brushing til your arms fall off and keep the FC elevated until the black algae is eradicated.

I would leave everything alone until you get over this black algae hurdle. You will find pertinent information on the SLAM here :lookhere: SLAMing Your Pool.

Any questions, post back and we'll get you situated. And don't use dichlor. Use unscented bleach. You're CYA is good where it's at right now. :goodjob:

Thanks for the quick reply, Casey. Those testing figures are from the pool supply store. Brushing is on the twice daily agenda. I've got lots of 10% bleach. We'll keep the FC up, but with the low CYA sunlight is wiping it out very quickly.

Add more CYA using the sock method in front of the return or use the dichlor and be very careful not to over shoot it. Too much CYA and you'll be back to draining more water off the pool.

You should consider your own test kit found here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

OK, 'just got the TFT 100 test kit. Here is the current situation.

FC 10, TC 10.5, CH 250, TA 120, CYA 0, pH 7.2.

You can see I have been keeping FC up for the Black Algae, which appears to be gone. I am going to put the sock w/ 3 lbs of CYA in it tonight. I hope to get the borate in over the weekend. Do I need to get the TA down before I put the borax in?

dbriefly

OK, 'just got the TFT 100 test kit. Here is the current situation.

FC 10, TC 10.5, CH 250, TA 120, CYA 0, pH 7.2.

You can see I have been keeping FC up for the Black Algae, which appears to be gone. I am going to put the sock w/ 3 lbs of CYA in it tonight. I hope to get the borate in over the weekend. Do I need to get the TA down before I put the borax in?

dbriefly
It becomes much more difficult to lower TA after the borates have been added. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/4655-So-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-Why-and-How

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.