Need help upgrading pool light from Fiber to LED.

I know this is an old thread, but I just did the same thing Cracker Shack did, and I wanted to comment here so others can search about it. I bought a PT-6000 to replace my 6004 fiber system. The fiber system lenses screw into dedicated return fittings for the lights. I removed the lenses, then attached a pull wire to the fiber after removing the end fittings on the end of the fiber in the pool.

After that, I pulled the fiber up through the base out of the pool, then attached the treo led lights to the pull wire and brought them through the base.

Wiring is a snap, though I do have a problem with the remote---it doesn't work unless I'm right on top of the podium. I read the troubleshooting guide and found the antenna has a 12 foot cord, so I pulled it out of the podium, but still only works if the remote is a foot from the antenna. Either the antenna or the remote has an issue, and I'll deal with it this week. The lights screw in the same way the old lenses did, and has multiple colored escutcheons to match whatever color fittings you have. Very doable as a DIY project.

To his original question, the instructions say to have the water below the fitting, though the only reason I see this is required is so that you don't leave water in the conduit. It is likely more important in northern climates where water in that conduit could freeze, but here in Louisiana it's not a big deal. I did do the swap while the pool was empty though, taking advantage of the pool being drained by the plaster crew. If I had to do the retrofit with the water in it, I think removing the fiber and attaching pull wire would be very difficult, to the point that I'd consider just pulling the fiber and using a fish tape instead in that scenario. I also applied Teflon tape to the threads of the LEDs, but it doesn't call for it and probably isn't necessary.

I didn't see the fiber lights in their original glory (we bought the house a few months ago), and since I don't have water in the pool yet, I can't say for sure, but just based on how they light up the empty pool, I suspect they will be a huge improvement. I had three fiber light bundles in the pool, and a kit with the transformer and three led lights from the company that made the fiber lights (fiberstars/sr smith retrofit is a direct replacement for their old fiber kits) cost just over $900. I was blown away by how expensive the LED lights are, and from what I can tell, I got off cheap.

Here's a pic of my new LEDs
b20b087f4f3543e7cb2e0bd3e3487b6a.jpg

9413ee3e624a5c4e8c32bed23e43f151.jpg

a3f209c710922c571323d638b21c677e.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.