Foam Dilemma -New Intex Ultra Frame 16x48, Need Advice Please

Jun 27, 2014
Key West, FL
Hi! I'm new to posting, but I've read and researched for weeks on here and learned a lot; I'm so glad I found this site! I want to put foam under my new install Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" but I live in an area with limited access and supply. I see that the Extruded Polystyrene is the preferred type to use, but I can only get either the 2'', 4x8 Expanded sheets ($14.98 per) or RMax R-Matte Plus 3/4" 4x8 polyiso sheets ($14.25 per), (description here): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...igid-Foam-Insulation-Board-W-N5075X/100317820
I can snap the RMax with my hand, so it's not very strong, and it's got the covering which I've read can cause the taped seams to slip. And of course the white extruded stuff can break right off. I should also let you know that we get torrential rains and at some points it WILL be underwater; hopefully mostly fresh but possibly brackish sometimes.

Please tell me which one I should use! And, should I put a tarp under the foam as well as on top? (no grass)
I'm already a few weeks behind my original schedule, and my daughter and I REALLY want to chill in the pool soon. :fish: Thanks!

I don't think you want to use that R-Max...its really crumbly and 'soft'....i used the pink stuff, i cannot recall exactly what brand...but it was more like this

There is a clear layer/film on it...my first year i triple taped the seams with gorilla tape and used a tarp on top...i had zero slippage. My sheets of foam did not move an inch...and we got pretty rowdy in our 16x48 intex :) This year I removed the clear film, and triple taped with a cheaper 3m heavy duty duct tape and used no tarp...i'm satisfied with my final product this year. post some pics!~

Thanks for your reply. I would LOVE to use the pink stuff, but it's not sold anywhere near here. Only the two choices I described, and I agree that the RMax looks pretty lame. If anyone on here used the white expanded styrofoam 2" I would like to hear about it- compression, etc. I will also be using pavers for the legs.

The only pink one (Foamular) I can get is 2x2 ($5.48). I think HD must not sell the insulation size pink in Florida at all; I tried Miami (closest city-8 hour round trip), Orlando and Daytona and nothing. Lowe's in Miami has the blue at $12.87, but it says it has to be ordered in bundles of 80! (Plus 8 hour trip and find a truck). We have a "boutique" lumber yard that has 3/4" blue for $64.00 a sheet (not in my budget!) Any suggestions welcomed!

Do you think either of these would work?

GreenGuard Extruded Polystrene Foam Board, .56" X 4' X 8'.

071215148566lg_zpsct91zfb1.jpg

Pactiv Extruded Polystene Foam Board, .25" X 4' X 50 ft. It would reduce the number of seams, but is thinner.

071215400046lg_zpsrwr1dxyp.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't get the GreenGuard to show on Lowe's site, but I had looked at the Pactiv before and remembered seeing someone on here saying it wasn't a good option (but they probably had more choices than me!) I CAN get it shipped here, which is wonderful! Since it's only .25" thick, do you think a double layer would work? It would be under $140 for two. I read the reviews and here's a clip from one, "Wavy, with a plastic skin & pinholes every 4 inches or so. Plastic skin tears & is therefore difficult to remove. Roll up the plastic skin on a wooden dowel. This reduces the tearing and makes it much easier to remove."
This is from someone using it for model airplanes, so I don't think I would need to remove the plastic, but do you think the holes are okay? If I ordered today I probably won't get it until Thursday, but if it's a better option than the expanded I'll just wait. Opinions? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.