Just started looking into pools...how to decide what brand?

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
So we have decided to start looking into above ground pools. We are a family of 4,with 2 kids currently 9 and 8 years old. We live in Massachusetts, so not the longest season to use a pool and since we both work we decided the investment into an inground just wouldn't be worth it. I started reading some threads but still am not sure how to decide. I know people look at warranties, but honestly I really only need a pool to last 15ish years. By then the kids will be out of the house and I don't forsee my husband and I using it much at that point. Haven't decided on size, although I think we like the oval designs better than round and it would fit better into our yard that way (we have a longer, narrowish type yard). I've read about going with the salt water which I like the idea of. But honestly, how the heck do you even begin deciding on what brand to get. We'd probably pay to have it installed, and I'd like to consider a decent deck around it as our yard is flat and we only have a patio (can't see kids from ground).
Can someone start pointing me in the direction of how to get started in this process???
I've attached a pic of our property. THe red line and over is technically not our property although we use it and maintain it but we can't put anything there. We could always move the swingset if it would be better directly behind our house.
pool_1.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

I would recommend that you decide which shape (oval) you're going to go with and then size. I would highly recommend that you get the biggest pool you can afford. The oval pools are a lot more expensive than the round pools and they actually hold less water. With larger ovals, it's best to look into another skimmer and return on the opposite end because the pool can get a dead spot from lack of circulation... hence the additional skimmer. Personally, if you could fit a round, which looks like you can because you have a nice sized yard from the pics IMO, I would do so over the oval but that is just me blubbering away on my preference in your thread. :mrgreen:

Just remember this... No one ever said, I wish my pool was smaller. I have a 24ft round and if I could have squeaked a 27ft in my side yard, I would have!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.