Taylor test kit came!!!! here are the results.... help!! lol

Jun 24, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ok,
So I been having these issues where my cartridge filters keep clogging because of all the dead alage. To my surprise this morning most of it was on bottom. So I vacuumed to waste with my cartridge filter by taking cartridge out of hosing and running return straight into sewer. My pool is back cloudy green again from stirring it all up. My TAYLOR KIT arrived so I did the test. I love this thing! Here are the results.
6700 gallon cartridge filter pool

Chlorine = 9 ppm
Combined Chlorine = 3 ppm
PH = 7.1
Alkanity = 150 ppm
Calcium Hardness = 130 ppm
Cyauric Acid = 20 ppm

Somebody help me!! PLZ

attachment.php

The high CC and the green tells us something is happening in there. Just raise FC to 10 (shock level for 20 CYA) and keep it up there. Keep brushing. Keep vacuuming. Just follow the Shock Level And Maintain directions.

There is only one thing to do, SLAM.

You may want to bring the CYA up a little bit to keep from losing too much chlorine to UV/sun loss, but you can start the SLAM now.

*****Edit
Darn - Richard beat me to it.......

How many gallons of shock? Thank you for your help!
You're going to need to figure that out for yourself. If you let someone else tell you what to add, you might as well go let the pool store do it! You're in charge now! :super:

Plug your pool size into poolmath and set 10 as your target for FC. Enter the strength of the chlorine and it will crunch the numbers and tell you how much to add. More complete instructions are HERE.

I think I misunderstood my CYA test. It is lower than 20. I did test again and after adding liquid shoock earlier my FC is at 7.5. That's a 1.5 loss plus what the 8 oz I added like the calculator told me to. But the calculator says bleach.... I am using shcock with 12.5% hypochlorite . Maybe did calculator wrong? ALso degreased and acid washed one cartridge and it is already getting clogged again :(

I think I misunderstood my CYA test. It is lower than 20. I did test again and after adding liquid shoock earlier my FC is at 7.5. That's a 1.5 loss plus what the 8 oz I added like the calculator told me to. But the calculator says bleach.... I am using shcock with 12.5% hypochlorite . Maybe did calculator wrong? ALso degreased and acid washed one cartridge and it is already getting clogged again :(
The shock level is still 10. Bleach and hypochlorite are exactly the same thing. As long as you enter the proper strength, it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you raise the CYA level above 20, the shock level will also go up, so you'll need to adjust your target in poolmath.

Gotcha. I think it was below my original post of 20. So I added some stabilizer just to see if it goes up. I will check in morning. I am starting to get the hang of this pool chemistry. My big concern is that I have poor circulation cause my filters get clogged to quick. I cant stay up for 24 hours and keep it clean. I do have two so that is a plus. The acid bath don't really do nothing. It works for a tad bit longer and then goes right back to same way. Maybe I need to invest in a sand filter?

Hey rich,
So I woke up this morning and pool was crystal clear. All the dead alage on the bottom. So I vacuumed it out straight into my sewer. of course had to add water once it got down below skimmer. My wife added shock last night when I wasn't home. Now my FC is at 22!!! hopefully the fresh water brings it down some. my cc is at 0. Just wanted to say thanks. I think once my FC gets down to 5 I will let her swim after I pass the 3 test. My question is , do u think I should buy new cartridge again? Since mine seem to be permanently damaged?

Re: FC dropped 7.5 since this morning???>>

Yes. Since you started the SLAM at 20ish and you've doubtless backwashed some, you really need some stabilizer in there. Just measure it out into a sock and tie it up and set it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return and let it do its thing. You have completed the SLAM, yes?

No . my pool is clear. Had bad storm last night and think that is problem. My Cc is around .75 ppm still. So I didn't pay the 3 test :(. Sorry about new topic. If I post in my old topic no one will reply. I just added some liquid stabilize. Can I add some shock too? I found like 6 little spots of what looked to be alage. I am scared to go through that whole process again lol

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with that fas-dpd kit is I can only measure cya to 30ppm . but the dot starts to disappear after I hit 30 mark. So I guesstimating my cya is around 15.

Before I added 25oz of liquid stabilize. I just did that about 20 min ago. Also I retested my Cc on 25ml mark and it is at .6 . I just would hate to go to sleep and wake up with green out cloudy pool. I even just vacuumed and brushed walls and put new filter sock on. Paranoid?! Maybe just test FC in morning and see if I pass the 1ppm loss. Or is the .6 CC to high and need to shock? So confused! Also I turned my chlorinator up to full.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.