Low suction/pressure.... Hayward "Leslies" crystal clear DE filter

Jun 27, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Hi new to the community, although I've researched here a few times about pool's and all their fun parts, this is a great forum!

So my I have a suction/pressure problem that I can not seem to figure out. I have a Hayward DE filter setup "Leslies" crystal clear ii DE filter. I'm beating back the algae with shock a few times a week, So far I:

1. backwashed the filter system and checked inlets and out, added DE
2. silicone lubed all the O rings on the system from the pre-filter basket in front of the pump, to the multiport valve and the large o-ring around the filter body itself.
3. checked the Volute, seemed fine, and the impeller was replaced 2 years ago...
3. I replaced the filters as they had a few small breaks and holes with FS-2004 Replacement Filter Grid
4. checked plumbing for leaks (found none)
5. took a look at the plumbing, there are 3 total valves/cut offs, 1 for incoming flow and 2 for outgoing (1 offset for a waterfall feature and the other for the main return) I closed the waterfall feature.
6. replaced the pool sweep hose (thinking it was loosing suction somewhere)

the pre-pump filter basket sometimes has bubbles in it and sometimes will not fill all the way. There was 1 odd event that happened a few months ago and this has been slowly degrading since then, I came home and pump basket was nearly dry, it seems the impaler was spinning with nearly zero water, I'm guessing had for some time as the water inside was nearly vaporizing into steam. After it cooled i pulled the unit a part but did not find any damage to the newer impaler.

The pressure stays around 2-8 psi but doesn't reach much more and as soon as I attached a pool sweep it drops to 0 and the suction nearly stops all together.

I'm wondering if the Volute was somehow damaged and is not allowing the proper amount of pressure to build up? The water flowing back into the pool is only steady on the closest outlet, not much pressure and it comes out fizzy like soda.

Any ideas? (I've been a pool owner for about 3 whole years now....)

Thanks again and ahead of time for any help!

You have a suction side air leak most likely. Or some restriction in the suction line. Is there any air trapped in the filter tank?

If there is no air, then it's a restriction. If there is air, you sucking air in somewhere. Maybe you fried the seal behind the impeller or something?

If you stuff a garden hose on full blast in the skimmer, do things improve?

A couple years ago someone faced a similar problem and after cutting into the plumbing, discovered a hot wheel car stuck right at the inlet to the intake valve.

Sounds like a suction side air leak... They can be hard to detect because they really don't leak water - just sucks air. With the pump on does your skimmer have really good suction? If the water level is a little low it will actually suck air in through skimmer. Also make sure the cover on your pump basket is sealed VERY well. Most of the time when I have bubbles in the pump basket it's because the seal right there ins't set perfectly. Do you notice any difference if you isolate the skimmer from the main drain?

Re: Low suction/pressure.... Hayward "Leslies" crystal clear DE filter

You have a suction side air leak most likely. Or some restriction in the suction line. Is there any air trapped in the filter tank?

If there is no air, then it's a restriction. If there is air, you sucking air in somewhere. Maybe you fried the seal behind the impeller or something?

If you stuff a garden hose on full blast in the skimmer, do things improve?

A couple years ago someone faced a similar problem and after cutting into the plumbing, discovered a hot wheel car stuck right at the inlet to the intake valve.

Sometimes there is a little air in the pre-filter before the impeller although as soon as I hook up a hose to the skimmer the pressure drops to 0, I'll try the garden hose tonight. I do have a 3 year old :) so I'll check to see if something is stuck in the line again.... that's very likely. The same problem happens no matter what setting i'm in, filter vs recirculate, so your advice is spot on. I checked the seals and housing and reapplied silicon to them as well. no change...

thanks again I really appreciate the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a suction side air leak... They can be hard to detect because they really don't leak water - just sucks air. With the pump on does your skimmer have really good suction? If the water level is a little low it will actually suck air in through skimmer. Also make sure the cover on your pump basket is sealed VERY well. Most of the time when I have bubbles in the pump basket it's because the seal right there ins't set perfectly. Do you notice any difference if you isolate the skimmer from the main drain?

When the pump is on, the suction is low, even lower if it doesn't get a good prime, 2-6 psi to the tank, and if I attach a hose to the skimmer the pressure drops to 0 and nearly stops all flow. That's in either filtering position or recirculate

Re: Low suction/pressure.... Hayward "Leslies" crystal clear DE filter

So I had the first pool company come by and here is their comments:

Inspected system, advice to have pool pressure tested for leaks $4-$500, replace main pump, filter, all valves, re-plumb equipment and remove old copper plumbing from pool system, advise pressure test first to verify no leaks in pool or plumbing under ground, advise to update all above ground plumbing and equipment.

The checklist:

Pump does not prime fully
pump lid and o ring - good
equipment bonded properly - fair
filter pressure - X
filter leaks - X (I checked this again and the filter doesn't leak)
filter relief valve - good
timer mounted properly - X
multiport valves open smoothly- X
other valves - x
water level -x
other leaks or plumbing - x

Does this seem accurate or just going for the easy fix?

Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.