concrete pool deck nightmare

May 30, 2014
Lancaster, OH
Pool deck finish looks really bad. Cantilever bullnose is wavy, not straight, with some cosmetic flaws. Broom finish is horrible. No expansion joint between coping and deck. PB told concrete guys to tear it out and do it again. They walked off job. PB is as upset as we are as he has a good reputation.

He has suggested 2 things so far but I'm not sure what to do......tear everything out and redo. Or he will install pavers at no charge on top of concrete deck.

I would assume he would have to cut an expansion joint between deck/coping. Is this plausible?

We like the paver idea for looks. He will put bullnose around edge of pool to hide wavy look and cleanup visible concrete edge.

He is not pushing us either way. I feel he truly wants to fix problem and make us happy.

Thanks for the replies. I took some photos but I can't load them from my phone.

Concrete guys have worked with PB on his last few jobs with no major issues. The concrete guys showed up late and didn't pour until 1pm on a 90 degree day. It was 14 yards of concrete with cantilevers, so not an easy job. They used two different types of brooms for the finish, left broom drops in middle of sweeps, someone stepped on ladder anchors and when reset no finish work, 8' foot 2x4 left on drying pad causing 8' long indentation, patchwork on steps to house left rough and the list goes on.

PB told us it was being torn up without even asking us what we thought. I thought that showed some integrity. Concrete owners told me they didn't think it was that bad. PB told all of them he doesn't want his name connected to shoddy work. Concrete guys tore up one section then quit.

PB gave us a couple different unilock pavers to choose from but said it will raise level everything up 2 3/4". He just did a pool remodel with pavers over existing deck and said we can check it out. I am not happy about the issues but happy the PB is trying his best to make things right. I don't think the height change will be that big of deal for the first step into the pool from the deck.

Does anyone have standard pavers (not 1") over existing deck with opinions?

Thank you.

Side note....forgot mention that we will also have a good sized patio area with built in stone bench and firepit at the end of the pool and this would also include the pavers over the concrete at no extra cost. We really like the paver look but are worried about raising that first step into the pool (handrail installed). If we could have afforded it, would have picked pavers from the start. Can you tell we are leaning towards pavers.

Thanks for replies and we would still like to hear opinions/experiences with laying pavers over concrete. Thanks

Last edited:
I've seen one pool in person where they laid flagstone over old concrete. I did not care for the appearance the extra height gave. It made the pool look like it was perpetually not full enough. That is something to consider besides the actual height itself and related issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.