Low speed with 2 skimmers sucks....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
actually, it doesnt suck at all. The water in the skimmers seems almost stagnant with no skimming action at all. i guess with 2 skimmers and the lower impeller speed it just cannot generate enough suction. I either have to close one skimmer or hit the high speed switch. Im in the country with a lot of bugs in my pool in the a.m. so good skimming action from both skimmers is a must have.

is there anyway to fix this or is this just the downfall of 2 speed pumps and if I want to skim I will just have to run high speed?

I have my timer set to run 15 min of high first thing in the am. Seems to solve the skimming issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my pump just has a high-low switch on it. i have to hit it manually. is there a timer that can override that for auto speed control?

EDIT: looking around, there are timers, but they all seem to be for pumps wired on 220v. Mine is 110 plugged into a timer, thats plugged into a GFCI outlet.

You will have to rewire the pump though if it just has a power plug now. I assume the speed selection wires are available in there somehow.

Can you close off the upwind skimmer?

You will have to rewire the pump though if it just has a power plug now. I assume the speed selection wires are available in there somehow.

Can you close off the upwind skimmer?

yeah, its just a power plug. there is a switch on the underside of the pump for hi - low - off. rewiring will probably be a pain.

i can and do close the upwind skimmer on days the wind is blowing, as the upwind skimmer wont catch anything anyway, best to double the power to the one catching all the debris.

to be honest though.... the suction is not really great even if I close the other skimmer. I know running a pump at 1/2 speed is going to affect suction... but I really wish it was better than it was. I work nights and am at home all day. Pool pump comes on 9 am to 1pm and 8 pm to 10pm.

I add my bleach at 9 am for the day, and usually kick it up on high to do so for better distribution. I think I will just keep doing that and letting pump run on high for the first hour or so, then manually switching it to low. I home all day anyway until 3 pm....

and often... my kids and I are in the pool anyway.... :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.