Question on chlorinating once a day

Cylon

May 16, 2014
NYC
I chlorinate every morning right before I leave to work and this week I logged all my results of FC (0 CC). I lose about 5 ppm on average of FC a day to the sun and I am at about 35 ppm of CYA.

The chart shows minimum I should be at about 3 ppm of minimum FC with normal levels at about 5 ppm of FC. Since I lose about 5 ppm on average a day, is it ok if before I go to work I target 10 ppm of FC or is that too high to keep in the pool?

My family uses the pool during the day and I don't want my wife messing with the bleach while the children are around so I prefer to chlorinate once a day.

That is fine. It's safe to swim up to shock levels so no problem for them swimming. Just allow time for the chlorine to mix well before the pool party starts. My wife has never noticed a difference between 8FC and 18FC when she was swimming

With that being said, there is the school of thought that you should add chlorine in the evening to allow the higher FC levels time to work without the depletion of sunlight. Before I got my Stenner I tried that for a while, but it just didn't work out very well for my schedule.

That is fine. It's safe to swim up to shock levels so no problem for them swimming. Just allow time for the chlorine to,mix well before the pool party starts.

I try to keep the pump on for 10-15 minutes after I pour chlorine in and they usually don't start swimming for at least another hour after that.

Maybe I will get it to this level the night before since I don't lose much at nighttime.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are losing too much daily. Average is 2.5 - ish loss. I suggest you do an OCLT to make sure nothing is growing.

Also, you could try adding chlorine in the evening after the sun is off the pool. With 35 CYA, keep FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. So, aim for 7 FC when you dose.

If OCLT is good, no CC & water clear, you may simply need to increase the CYA.

It sounds like you are losing too much daily. Average is 2.5 - ish loss. I suggest you do an OCLT to make sure nothing is growing.

Also, you could try adding chlorine in the evening after the sun is off the pool. With 35 CYA, keep FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. So, aim for 7 FC when you dose.

If OCLT is good, no CC & water clear, you may simply need to increase the CYA.

Yeah I always test every night and every morning and I only lose about .5ppm at night and there is always under .5ppm of cc (usually 0)

Maybe I will try to increase my CYA to 45 and see what happens. Currently its about 35. My pool gets hit with sun most of the day

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.