dead cat in pool what to do what to do

Remove it, bury it, and add some extra chlorine.

If it hasn't been all that long, less than a day or two, and your chlorine level is still reasonable, then the pool should be fine.

Sad about the cat though.

Our neighbors cats drink from our pool al the time!! Every night when I go to the pool to get a sample Ebony is sitting at the stairs watching the water go around and around and around. Mrs TizMe was on a float a few weeks ago and Morgan jumped on the float with her !!

Yes it is sad about the cat though.

Just as a perhaps though, I would maybe keep an eye on what your water level does over the next few days or weeks in case the cat put holes in your liner if you have a vinyl pool ...

I was out in the backyard this past weekend and heard a splash. I turned to look and saw one of our cats dog-paddling across the pool like there was no tomorrow! He was moving!

I didn't see him fall in. I'm guessing he was chasing a bug or something and didn't realize he was that close to the pool. :mrgreen:

That's horrible. I can't imagine finding that. Ugh.

I was swimming in mine last night -- I think it's ok to swim alone in a 4' deep a/g pool. I had a horrible idea come into my head: what if there was a snake in there with me and I didn't see it until I was already in the water. Not to hijack the thread but has that ever happened to anyone ? We have a pond about 50 yards from the pool and a creek 30-40 yards beyond that. I have seen one snake there since we bought the house in January. Do they have any interest in pools ?

Steve

I regularly end up swimming with very large spiders at night. We have them in my back yard and they are everywhere I don't want them to be. Sometimes they die in the skimmer, sometimes they are on the decking. One time on the fence. They are very large, largest I've ever dealt with and look evil but I've looked them up and believe them to be common grass spiders. I usually usher them out of the pool with a water noodle but they'll *really* spook guests. Before I moved to this house I was terrified of bees and wasps. At the new house there are a LOT of wasps and yellowjackets. They regularly attack us in the pool thinking it's theirs. They dive bomb and this and that. I've overcome my fear and I will chase them down and kill them with water noodles (to be fair I only chase them down after they've attacked and continue to attack).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Article in "The Week" issue 371, page 14, "It must be true ... I read it in the tabloids"

Swimmers at a pool in Sydney were startled to find themselfes sharing the water with a 3-foot-long shark.
The shark was "just swimming happily up and down at one side of the pool," said a spokeswoman for the Cronulla Surf Lifesaving Club, whose pool is just a few dozen yards from the ocean. A large wave appearently washed the shark into the pool in the middle of the night. "We have swimmers who come here at 6am to do laps," the spokeswoman said. "It was dark then and they must not have even noticed it was there."

If that shark was "Happily swimming..." the chlorine level must not have been all that great!!!

heikejohn said:
Article in "The Week" issue 371, page 14, "It must be true ... I read it in the tabloids"

Swimmers at a pool in Sydney were startled to find themselfes sharing the water with a 3-foot-long shark.
The shark was "just swimming happily up and down at one side of the pool," said a spokeswoman for the Cronulla Surf Lifesaving Club, whose pool is just a few dozen yards from the ocean. A large wave appearently washed the shark into the pool in the middle of the night. "We have swimmers who come here at 6am to do laps," the spokeswoman said. "It was dark then and they must not have even noticed it was there."

If that shark was "Happily swimming..." the chlorine level must not have been all that great!!!

Now that would be something to wake you up! :lol:

Maybe the shark prefers chlorine to the ocean?! :mrgreen:

Wow! if there was anything alive or dead in my pool that was not invited, they would find themselves given the old "happy trials" exit... however if there was a snakie in there, i would look something like the 2nd coming of christ as i run on top of the water and back to the house. :lol:

While swimming one day last year I noticed a little head peaking above the water line in the skimmer....sure enough it was a snake...! So I too check the skimmer and the pool before I enter.
Laugh if you wish but better to have snake on his merry way else where than swimming in close proximity to me.
I even have a rope tied into the skimmer lid so I don't have to put my finger in the hole to lift the top to check it!
Comes with living in the woods.

I was hoping for a bunch of no, that never happens kinda responses. Thanks for giving me the heebie geebie's. Maybe I can get some pet muskrats to swim with now.

On the positive side, I have these beautiful hawks that nest at the edge of my yard. Hopefully they will help keep things clear of snakes ! My house is well away from the wooded area behind us but we do have that pond and creek and a bunch of downed trees back there. UGH.

Again -- my apologies to the original poster. I should've never started this conversation in the middle of your thread. It was rude of me to hijack it.

Steve

heikejohn said:

I read this same article. There was some mention that they thought the shark came in on a large wave.

Although I hadn't been to this same pool, when I went to Sydney I did see some true salt water pools near the beach. I assume the pool the shark got into was the same situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.