Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dead cat in pool what to do what to do

1. Back To Top    #1

dead cat in pool what to do what to do

???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dead cat in pool what to do what to do

Remove it, bury it, and add some extra chlorine.

If it hasn't been all that long, less than a day or two, and your chlorine level is still reasonable, then the pool should be fine.

Sad about the cat though.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, sad about the cat. If it was my pool, I would shock it.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Our neighbors cats drink from our pool al the time!! Every night when I go to the pool to get a sample Ebony is sitting at the stairs watching the water go around and around and around. Mrs TizMe was on a float a few weeks ago and Morgan jumped on the float with her !!

Yes it is sad about the cat though.

Just as a perhaps though, I would maybe keep an eye on what your water level does over the next few days or weeks in case the cat put holes in your liner if you have a vinyl pool ...
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Absolutely shocking .......................just shock the pool :P
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

I was out in the backyard this past weekend and heard a splash. I turned to look and saw one of our cats dog-paddling across the pool like there was no tomorrow! He was moving!

I didn't see him fall in. I'm guessing he was chasing a bug or something and didn't realize he was that close to the pool.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

7. Back To Top    #7

That's horrible. I can't imagine finding that. Ugh.

I was swimming in mine last night -- I think it's ok to swim alone in a 4' deep a/g pool. I had a horrible idea come into my head: what if there was a snake in there with me and I didn't see it until I was already in the water. Not to hijack the thread but has that ever happened to anyone ? We have a pond about 50 yards from the pool and a creek 30-40 yards beyond that. I have seen one snake there since we bought the house in January. Do they have any interest in pools ?

Steve
    24' Round Above-Ground Pool, 13500 Gallons
    Triton Meteor Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I check my pool and skimmer every day, and especially if I am getting in it.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I regularly end up swimming with very large spiders at night. We have them in my back yard and they are everywhere I don't want them to be. Sometimes they die in the skimmer, sometimes they are on the decking. One time on the fence. They are very large, largest I've ever dealt with and look evil but I've looked them up and believe them to be common grass spiders. I usually usher them out of the pool with a water noodle but they'll *really* spook guests. Before I moved to this house I was terrified of bees and wasps. At the new house there are a LOT of wasps and yellowjackets. They regularly attack us in the pool thinking it's theirs. They dive bomb and this and that. I've overcome my fear and I will chase them down and kill them with water noodles (to be fair I only chase them down after they've attacked and continue to attack).

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Molson

Same here!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I am curious, how often do you get into your skimmer?
    I prefer to get into my pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear

I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe that's what you call skimmer dipping.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

13. Back To Top    #13

If there was a snake in the pool, I'd probably TRY to climb into the skimmer! lol

Steve

14. Back To Top    #14

Article in "The Week" issue 371, page 14, "It must be true ... I read it in the tabloids"

Swimmers at a pool in Sydney were startled to find themselfes sharing the water with a 3-foot-long shark.
    The shark was "just swimming happily up and down at one side of the pool," said a spokeswoman for the Cronulla Surf Lifesaving Club, whose pool is just a few dozen yards from the ocean. A large wave appearently washed the shark into the pool in the middle of the night. "We have swimmers who come here at 6am to do laps," the spokeswoman said. "It was dark then and they must not have even noticed it was there."

If that shark was "Happily swimming..." the chlorine level must not have been all that great!!!
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I really like to make sure there are no nasties in it.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn
    Article in "The Week" issue 371, page 14, "It must be true ... I read it in the tabloids"

Swimmers at a pool in Sydney were startled to find themselfes sharing the water with a 3-foot-long shark.
    The shark was "just swimming happily up and down at one side of the pool," said a spokeswoman for the Cronulla Surf Lifesaving Club, whose pool is just a few dozen yards from the ocean. A large wave appearently washed the shark into the pool in the middle of the night. "We have swimmers who come here at 6am to do laps," the spokeswoman said. "It was dark then and they must not have even noticed it was there."

If that shark was "Happily swimming..." the chlorine level must not have been all that great!!!
    Now that would be something to wake you up!

Maybe the shark prefers chlorine to the ocean?!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

Wow! if there was anything alive or dead in my pool that was not invited, they would find themselves given the old "happy trials" exit... however if there was a snakie in there, i would look something like the 2nd coming of christ as i run on top of the water and back to the house.

18. Back To Top    #18

While swimming one day last year I noticed a little head peaking above the water line in the skimmer....sure enough it was a snake...! So I too check the skimmer and the pool before I enter.
    Laugh if you wish but better to have snake on his merry way else where than swimming in close proximity to me.
    I even have a rope tied into the skimmer lid so I don't have to put my finger in the hole to lift the top to check it!
    Comes with living in the woods.

19. Back To Top    #19

I was hoping for a bunch of no, that never happens kinda responses. Thanks for giving me the heebie geebie's. Maybe I can get some pet muskrats to swim with now.

On the positive side, I have these beautiful hawks that nest at the edge of my yard. Hopefully they will help keep things clear of snakes ! My house is well away from the wooded area behind us but we do have that pond and creek and a bunch of downed trees back there. UGH.

Again -- my apologies to the original poster. I should've never started this conversation in the middle of your thread. It was rude of me to hijack it.

Steve

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn

I read this same article. There was some mention that they thought the shark came in on a large wave.

Although I hadn't been to this same pool, when I went to Sydney I did see some true salt water pools near the beach. I assume the pool the shark got into was the same situation.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast