hello everyone - Questions about copper conversion

Jul 21, 2008
Just bought a pool about a month ago and thinking about switching it over to a chlorine pool - we have had no problems with the it since we have had it and the water is still very clear, But it seems to cost alot more then chlorine and the water just dont seem very "clean". Its an 21ft 11,000g above ground pool.

Question 1 : Since my pool is so new, Would I still have to change out the sand in the filter when I am done with the transition?

Question 2: Would it be better to drain the pool and fill back up again, Therefore saving money in bleach? How much bleach would I need for 11,000g pool?

Question 3: Would it be even worth doing it this late in the season, Or just better off waiting until next spring to start using Chlorine?

Thanks for your help.

Edited title for clarity - Molson

Re: hello everyone--

It all depends......
How much Baqua stuff do you have on hand?

If you don't have any problems, I would use up what you have on hand, and then convert.

I converted after the swimming season last fall. Would have done it sooner, had I known. We spend 250.00 on chemicals to battle white water mold & cloudy water without success. There is still all kinds of baqua stuff in my basement that I cant use any more. I put some ads in the paper & sold a bunch of stuff. The rest, nobody wants.

You WILL have to change the sand in your filter after the conversion. There will be all kinds of "Baqua-Goo" left in the sand. That needs to come out in order for your filter to work properly.

My conversion took about 2 weeks, and took about 80 gal of bleach. I dosed the water about 8 - 10 times a day. After it was finished, I closed the pool, & opened this spring with sparkling water!!! It has been like this the whole time. Testing every day, adding bleach every day. Some acid & baking soda once in a while, swimming whenever I want to, enjoying it all the time!!!!

I think in my personal opinion, you don't say where you are located....my season has about 6 weeks left. If this were my pool, I'd probably finish the season with the baq and then do the conversion before I close the pool for the winter, too cold to be swimming anyway... Toss the sand at the end of the conversion and put the filter away for the winter. In the spring you will have a much easier time opening your pool, your conversion will be done. You can put in fresh sand then.

IF you decide to convert now you will likely lose a couple of weeks of peak swimming season.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I think in my personal opinion, you don't say where you are located....my season has about 6 weeks left. If this were my pool, I'd probably finish the season with the baq and then do the conversion before I close the pool for the winter, too cold to be swimming anyway... Toss the sand at the end of the conversion and put the filter away for the winter. In the spring you will have a much easier time opening your pool, your conversion will be done. You can put in fresh sand then.

IF you decide to convert now you will likely lose a couple of weeks of peak swimming season.

True and my kids would hate me to shut the pool down while its in the triple digits next week....We are in Oklahoma. My wife agrees and wants to change, But said not after only 2 weeks of it being open.

How easy is it to replace the sand in the filter? Mine is a Laser 2hp. How much does the sand cost?

Thanks for your quick responses...

Just shocked it last night according to our 2 weeks maintenance manual and Just had it tested at the pool place and here are my results:

ph 7.3
ch 50
ta 30
cya 10
cop. 1.06

They said everything looks good, But only add about 3oz of pure 'n blue CLEAN (Non-Chlorine Algaecide ). I was afraid they were going to tell me, oh you need 32oz of this and 32 oz of that :blah: . Our pump runs on low 24/7 so maybe that helps too.

Still looks a little cloudy to me, But you can still see the bottom pretty clear.

If those numbers are right, they aren't at all good. TA and CYA are both significantly too low.

Also, I would avoid pure 'n blue, it is a copper based algaecide. Add too much of that and you will get nasty stains that are difficult to remove.

It would be a great idea to get a top quality test kit and take control of your pool. I recommend a kit from TF Test Kits. They Taylor K-2006 is also good. There is no better investment you can make in your pool.

You can raise TA with baking soda. To raise CYA you need to get some stabilizer/conditioner from the pool store. But I would be cautious about adding either without confirmation of your water test numbers.

JasonLion said:
If those numbers are right, they aren't at all good. TA and CYA are both significantly too low.

Also, I would avoid pure 'n blue, it is a copper based algaecide. Add too much of that and you will get nasty stains that are difficult to remove.

It would be a great idea to get a top quality test kit and take control of your pool. I recommend a kit from TF Test Kits. They Taylor K-2006 is also good. There is no better investment you can make in your pool.

You can raise TA with baking soda. To raise CYA you need to get some stabilizer/conditioner from the pool store. But I would be cautious about adding either without confirmation of your water test numbers.

I bought a DPD Deluxe Test Kit from Leslie pools. I think the pool should be fine until I receive the kit. Hopefully the kit is easy to use because I am sure no chemist. :oops:

I will probably pick up one of the tf kits later if I cant get the pool balanced.

So based on these numbers I can throw some baking soda in and I think our starter kit came with stabilizer but have no idea how much to add.

Back to converting the pool, When we winterize and drain should I add the bleach then?

I usually winterize my pool around mid to late September. So before you would normally winterize, proceed with your conversion. Expect the conversion to take at least 2 weeks or more. Then, once you have fully completed converting, (with our help of course :wink: ) begin the winterization (for me that means shocking my pool and adding Polyquat 60), letting the filter run for 12-24 hours; putting the cover on; putting equipment away in the shed.

This maybe a stupid question, But is pure n blue an off brand of baquacil? Thats all they gave us in our start up kit was pure n blue clear and pur n blue clean. Also have a couple of packets of crystal shock. So I guess our pool is a Baquacil pool right? :oops: :hammer: Pure n Blue is all we have put in our pool besides shock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: hello everyone - Questions about conversion

Dont know if this has anything to do with the Chems not disinfecting, Or just the kids swimming too much but now 3 out of my 5 have ear infections. :shock:

It is a Copper Based Chemical (non toxic). I shocked it last night because it was looking a little cloudy and the ph was down slightly and it looks a bit clearer this morning.

Still waiting on my kit to get a good test.

No, copper is NOT used with biguanide based sanitizer systems like Baqua. You also have over 1 ppm copper in the water! This is a copper basesd system and copper is NOT an EPA approved primary sanitizer. You are putting copper sulfate in your water and my question is what are you shocking with. My guess it is either MPS (non chlorine shock) or cal hypo (chlorine shock) since these are the two most common kinds used with copper based systems.
To convert to chlorine you need to drain and refill to get your coppper down below .4 ppm or you run the risk of staining, then just start using chlorine and a GOOD metal sequestent.
BTW, you have been ripped off because copper sulfate ( the active ingredient all these copper based systems) is dirt cheap!!!!!!!!!!! (and if you look at their website the product is an exclusive to them!)
You might want to read this article:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3025

The reason your kids got ear infections is because your water is NOT sanitized with a quick acting residual sanitizer. Convert to chlorine ASAP and throw throw the copper out. I think it's criminal the way some manufacturers make huge profits on new pool owner's ignorance of pool care and put their health at risk at the same time!

BTW, The 'crystal shock' is lithium hypochlorite. It is chlorine, actually the MOST EXPENSIVE form of chlorine you can buy! What this system is is a very underchlorinated chlorine pool (since you are only adding chlorine every two weeks) with a massive overdose of copper algaecide (so the pool does not turn green in that period).
It is no wonder the water does not look clean, it isn't!

Copper can also turn your hair greeeeeeeeeeeeeen! :shock:

I am so sorry to hear the kids have ear infections. I know all about them with my son.

If this were my pool... :wink: after reading what waterbear posted, I would shut it down and covert by any means necesary asap for *sanitary* water that won't hurt my kids or anyone else for that matter.

Casey said:
Copper can also turn your hair greeeeeeeeeeeeeen! :shock:

I am so sorry to hear the kids have ear infections. I know all about them with my son.

If this were my pool... :wink: after reading what waterbear posted, I would shut it down and covert by any means necesary asap for *sanitary* water that won't hurt my kids or anyone else for that matter.
Yes we have had the green hair as well.
also have noticed our skimmer is stained. :x Well this is not good. So we need to drain it, Or take the same steps in converting this as you would a baquacil pool?

If we drain, How much do we drain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.