hello everyone - Questions about copper conversion

Well, Stupid FC still dropping to zero very quickly especially during the day when the sun is out. Everything else still looks pretty balanced. Maybe its the off brand bleach? Maybe its the 100 degree temps? Maybe because I store the bleach in the HOT shed?

Fixing to reinstate our Sams card so we can go buy bleach in bulk.....I might even try some liquid chlorine from the pool store to see if it holds better. Cant find anything over 6% bleach here, Would anyone know where I can find that?

Did you get your test kit?

Part of the issue may be that we really aren't certain what your CYA is, correct? That may be why you can't hold FC during the day. With low levels of CYA, even in the normal range, you can expect to lose 50% of your FC, especially on a hot sunny day when the pool is not covered. So we need to confirm your CYA so that you are hitting your FC targets correctly.

So last night, after the kids were done swimming, did you test and/or add chlorine? Are you adding bleach each night, as necessary? Did you test this morning to confirm all of your chlorine loss was during today's daylight hours?

I would not store bleach in the hot shed, better in a dark, more temp controlled area, as it can lose strength.

Wal-mart sells HTH liquid chlorine in a 2 jug container in the pool department, 10% strength. Some Pool Stores sell 12.5% strength. When you say "offbrand" bleach what brand did you purchase?

Also, everything else looks "pretty balanced" does that mean your PH reading was back to normal, when the FC was lower than 10?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm understanding the particulars. :oops:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Did you get your test kit?

Part of the issue may be that we really aren't certain what your CYA is, correct? That may be why you can't hold FC during the day. With low levels of CYA, even in the normal range, you can expect to lose 50% of your FC, especially on a hot sunny day when the pool is not covered. So we need to confirm your CYA so that you are hitting your FC targets correctly.

So last night, after the kids were done swimming, did you test and/or add chlorine? Are you adding bleach each night, as necessary? Did you test this morning to confirm all of your chlorine loss was during today's daylight hours?

I would not store bleach in the hot shed, better in a dark, more temp controlled area, as it can lose strength.

Wal-mart sells HTH liquid chlorine in a 2 jug container in the pool department, 10% strength. Some Pool Stores sell 12.5% strength. When you say "offbrand" bleach what brand did you purchase?

Also, everything else looks "pretty balanced" does that mean your PH reading was back to normal, when the FC was lower than 10?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm understanding the particulars. :oops:

Still have the 5 way test strips and now have the hth test for FC and PH (it only tests those two). Not sure what the heck is taking leslie pools so long to send my kit. :grrrr: According to the strips the chlorine was close to normal, So its losing MUCH less at night. But when I got home this evening it was zero.

Thinking I will hit wal mart tomorrow for the 10% jug. Is it 2 gallons? Hoping pool supplies will be on sale soon. The off brand bleach was wal mart generic bleach. PH is back to normal and CYA is 30-50 according to the strip. I think I will still pick up some ph balancer while I am at wally world.

fatheroffive said:
Still have the 5 way test strips and now have the hth test for FC and PH (it only tests those two). Not sure what the heck is taking leslie pools so long to send my kit. :grrrr: According to the strips the chlorine was close to normal, So its losing MUCH less at night. But when I got home this evening it was zero.

Thinking I will hit wal mart tomorrow for the 10% jug. Is it 2 gallons? Hoping pool supplies will be on sale soon. The off brand bleach was wal mart generic bleach. PH is back to normal and CYA is 30-50 according to the strip. I think I will still pick up some ph balancer while I am at wally world.

The 10% jug is 2, 1 gallon jugs sold in a cardboard box marked "HTH Liquid chlorinator" or something like that, by the pool supplies. What is "PH balancer"? and are you sure you need it?

Call Leslies and give 'em a what for! :grrrr: :goodjob:

Well, it sounds like you are just keeping ahead of something. I don't think you should lose ALL of your FC if you have killed all the algae and are keeping proper FC levels. I've used Walmart bleach plenty and no issues. So I would suspect you are just staying ahead of something, and if the FC is allowed to stay too low for too long you'll see your water turn cloudy and possible green. So keep dosing with FC to maintain your minimum target at all times, can someone add a bit of bleach during the day for you.....

Once you have your kit you'll get a handle on things and it will become much simpler. I PROMISE! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.