SWG says Low Salt I show salt at 3620

Jun 24, 2014
Abilene, TX
I am new to a SWG-Intex Krystal Clear-The low salt light is on so I added the recommended amount of salt 2 days ago. My pool is getting greener everyday! We have had lots of rain. When I first started the pool water was beautiful. After the rains, it started getting green. I am trying to Boost, but it cuts off the boost and "goes to sleep" and reads low salt. I just ordered my Taylor TF-100. Please don't stone me! I am using test strips. (didn't know any better until I found this site.) I have had a pool about 4 years but just bought my SWG this year. I am tempted to go to my pool supplier and see what they say. They have always been helpful in the past. HELP!!

Salt = 3620
PH = 7.8
TA = 240
CH - cannot test :(
FC = 0
Copper Ion Concentration = .5
CYA - cannot test :(

You need plain old bleach and probably a lot of it initially. Have you taken any time to read the Pool School articles and learn the ins and outs of pool chemistry? Also the PoolMath page will help you determine how much bleach to add when you're ready.
SWG's are wonderful things- but they're not set up to overtake an algae outbreak. They're the low level preventative device. Bleach provides immediate killing action in high enough levels to slay the green monster. You just have to have a plan and understand why you're doing what you need to do.
Go Read Pool School!! (and get some bleach in that pool!)

Welcome to TFP :wave:

If that copper test result is correct, you will need to drain/refill some water before you get started on the SLAM process.

Does the SWG contain copper electrodes? If yes, you should disconnect them. Have you added algaecides that contain copper?
Copper in the water at .3 or more can cause stains and is what causes hair to turn green.

Glad you ordered the TF100. :goodjob: When will you get it?

Is the green water a clear green or cloudy green?

It would be helpful if you could post some pics of the pool. Use a free photo hosting site like PhotoBucket. Upload pics there and copy/paste the img code inside the message box here in your post.

We do not "stone" folks; we are here to help you!:D

Post back with any questions and someone will be around to help.

Thank you! I have started reading Pool School. I added some bleach last night. The pool math calculator said 3 cups, but I'm not sure that is enough.

My green water is clear, not cloudy. I have not added any algaecide. My TF-100 should be here July 1st..

I will try to upload some pictures this evening.

Thanks for the help and I will go get some bleach!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.