Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leslie's DPD Deluxe Test Kit - $3.83 w/ free shipping?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leslie's DPD Deluxe Test Kit - $3.83 w/ free shipping?

This isn't one of the TFP recommended test kits, and I don't speak Spanish, but this is a really low price. Would anyone recommend against buying this kit?

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 00/I/18547
    15,000gal/24ft above ground w/ sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leslie's DPD Deluxe Test Kit - $3.83 w/ free shipping?

Hi Dale, I would recommend against it.

Please see this thread: cheap-taylor-tests-leslie-s-t7133.html
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I would absolutely recommend it, if you are not in a hurry! Leslie's has a customer satisfaction guarantee that you will have to use.They will probably send you a Spanish kit with expired/bad reagents, verify that by checking the batch codes with Taylor(1-800-TEST-KIT), then simply call (I talked to Joyce at ext. 4242) and tell them that. They sent me an English kit with fresh reagents for NO CHARGE! Now I have extra hardware too!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by New2Me
    I then simply call (I talked to Joyce at ext. 4242) and tell them that. They sent me an English kit with fresh reagents for NO CHARGE! Now I have extra hardware too!
    And that will ultimately drive up prices for everyone on refills and new kits.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    At Leslie's....
    Cheers, Erik
    ----
    320 gallon Beachport San Clemente octagonal fiberglass spa, RayPak Versa 155B heater, Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4 1HP pump, Sta-Rite 100TX cartridge filter, Len Gordon FF1000 controller, Mariah blower
    Pristine Blue with 30ppm borax, bleach and MPS shock

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Beachport
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    At Leslie's....
    No, since the new kit was obtained by calling Taylor!

7. Back To Top    #7

When I run out of reagent and need a quick turn-around, I hit the local hardware store for Taylor reagents. The local HW store is a low volume boonie store. I never know if the reagent is good. Can we decode the Lot# and determine the mfr date? Taylor website says liquid reagents are designed for one year with proper storage. This is the problano w/the Leslie cheapo kits, me thinks. If no one here knows, I will investigate. But I am a lazy shy cheapo guy.

- Bill
    40,000 gal pool, Goldline SWG, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, plaster w/epoxy paint.

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe Leslie's should stop trying to make a buck on expired kits. It's probably costing them more to ship these things for free than the kits are worth. I ordered two anyway and if the reagents are expired, I will be calling Taylor.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

Alfred Beachport wrote:
    waterbear wrote:

At Leslie's....

No, since the new kit was obtained by calling Taylor!

No, I called Leslie's for the replacement, I was just trying to get new reagents, but they (Joyce) said that it was easier to just send the whole kit. Maria at Taylor is who I talked to to confirm that the first reagents needed to be replaced, and that the second were "fresh". Leslie's is just trying to move product from their inventory. They may full well know that it isn't "fresh" anymore, but how are they/we to tell? If you walk in to any pool store that sells Taylor product you are relying on them to rotate stock and dispose of "not fresh" reagents. ls it better take the one at the front of the shelf or at the rear? Ever buy milk at the grocery store with a date that is older than the one next to it? Thanks to cell phones, I think that I would call 1800TESTKIT from the sales floor to check the "freshness" of any reagent before I bought it, and if it comes in the mail, I'd check it when delivered! Just like milk, "Not Fresh" reagents can stink! If there is a way to decode the lot numbers, no one here is spilling it. I think that they just add 2 to the year, and make that the last number, if it is 1-7 it is more than two years old, 8 is in its second year, 9 is one, and 0 is/was made this year. Storage is the main factor in the longevity, there's no guarantee the milk in the cooler didn't spoil in a hot truck, but at least you'll know if has been there for a year, or two!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

10. Back To Top    #10

Heh, looks like Leslie's finally sold all of the expired Spanish DPD Delujo kits.

They still have OTO Delujo, OTO Basico, y DPD Basico.
    Cheers, Erik
    ----
    320 gallon Beachport San Clemente octagonal fiberglass spa, RayPak Versa 155B heater, Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4 1HP pump, Sta-Rite 100TX cartridge filter, Len Gordon FF1000 controller, Mariah blower
    Pristine Blue with 30ppm borax, bleach and MPS shock