Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recessed?

callmedpit

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2014
Millersville, MD
Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recessed?

My pool light looks a lot like this:

41pW0Rlqf7L.jpg

Unfortunately the top screw is badly stripped and I can't get it out. I am trying to remove it to find any signs of algae that is sucking up my chlorine. I don't want to drain the pool as I literally just did that to lower my CYA, refilled and have used almost $100 worth of chlorine SLAMing. The screw is recessed into the plastic about 1/2" so I can't get vice grips inside to try and grab the screw head.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Re: Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recesse

Someone recently used a pneumatic driver under the water to do something similar .....

Re: Who has some ideas for removing a stripped screw in light underwater 1/2" recesse

Google it. You will get lots of ideas. One is to try stretching a rubber band over he screwdriver tip. Another is simply use a different type screwdriver. An easy-out/screw extractor was DH's first thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.