SOLVED: Intermatic Problem

Jul 21, 2008
Code:
UPDATE:  Installing the correct voltage time worked.  I'm such as DumbMule

I have a new Intermatic timer (T101R) that I just hooked up to my pool. I attached it to the wall and ran two conduits all seemed well. I took the Line to A and 1 (where the clock motor was installed) and the load to the pump went to 1 and 2. Each one has a ground going to the ground post in the box.

The pool pump runs off the new switch in the timer just fine; however, the timer clock doesn't tick. It also seems to arc off the back of the metal box everytime I flip the switch... I only see that happen at night.

This seemed pretty simple but I haven't been able to conquer this yet. What am I missing?

Help! :hammer:

Re: Intermatic Problem

Did you hook up line, neutral, and ground wires from the supply? You mention line and ground, but you didn't mention connecting neutral. Also, a picture of the wiring would help.

It is possible, though unlikely, that you timer clock motor is defective.

I'm sure I will be exposing myself on this forum with this post... (after further review) I will rephrase that sentence. I will be revealing to this forum my stupidity... Please don't be afraid to click the link, I did not 'expose myself'.

Anyway.... :oops:

Answering above... I have used that diagram to install the timer, but the previous connection had a Electrical Outlet in the current Junction box which I wired black to black and white to white and that goes to the Timer(which was a electrical Switch).

Is your pump 220V?

Based on the pics, I would guess it is.
A 220V pump needs two hot lines, and a ground to work.
When you throw your switch, it would connect both hots, and the ground is always connected.

You should be able to look at the label on the pump, and see what voltage it runs at.

Your intermatic is for 110V, so if it is really a 220V pump, then you need a 220V switch.

If the pump was 110V, I would expect to see different color wires, with a colored wire for hot, and white for neutral.

Randy

Thanks for the reply, randytsuch. If it is 220v, I would fell pretty stupid... but I already do feel pretty stupid. My pump model does both 220v and 110v; so I didn't know how to determine which that it was. Before I installed the clock and the junction box... it was a 110v outlet and a 110 switch in outdoor boxes.

I think Randy has it right. What I see is 220v wiring but a 110v box. The plastic cover on the time clock that goes over the wiring shows a 220v setup which is strange.

The wiring coming from the pump would indicate 220v motor. There is no neutral wire that I can see.

A wiring diagram should be inside the metal plate at the back end of the motor. If the motor is wired for 220v, there should be two hot wires and a ground going to the clock. The two hot wires connect to the load side of the clock. There should be 2 load terminals in the clock. Yours doesn't seem to have that. There should also be 2 line terminals where you connect 2 hot wires coming from the junction box.

The difference in the setup of the terminals of the clock with the plastic cover schematic is confusing to me.

inbamanow said:
Thanks for the reply, randytsuch. If it is 220v, I would fell pretty stupid... but I already do feel pretty stupid. My pump model does both 220v and 110v; so I didn't know how to determine which that it was. Before I installed the clock and the junction box... it was a 110v outlet and a 110 switch in outdoor boxes.

There's no label on the pump that says the voltage?

Do you know where the breaker is for the pump?
If the pump breaker has two switches that are bolted together, then it's a 220V breaker, meaning your pump is 220V.
At least, that's what my breaker looks like, for my 220V pump.

You don't have a meter, do you? Then you could just check to see of both lines are hot.

Randy

Well H E Double Hockey Sticks... The meter says 220.... That's why you guys are my new best friends... Now I just need to get Home Depot to take this one back =[

Thanks
Fellas and Fellettes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.