New Pool Owner with Alkalinity Question

Jun 26, 2014
Whiting/NJ
Hello,

I'll go into details of my pool, but my real questions are summed up at the end if you'd just like to skip to that.

A little background info, I'm a saltwater aquarium hobby-ist and have good knowledge of water chemistry, but still have a lot to learn.

Last year I aquired a new home with an inground pool that was closed for at least 4 years. The cover was loose in some spots and things like pine needles were getting in. All the pipes coming out of the ground near the filter were cut (even the electrical wiring). The sand filter was worthless and the pump didn't run, I also needed to purchase a new ladder and railings. The pool is a standard inground 40 foot long x 24 wide with 8 foot deep end. I don't know exactly but I think it's 22K gallons.
I purchased a new DE Filter, Inline Chloronator, New Pump and everything I needed to get started + I fixed the plumbing and electrical wiring including switches and timers. It took me about 10 days to get the pool clear, which I thought was amazing since it had so much **** in there you couldn't even see 6 inches below the water surface.

I came up with my process for maintaining my pool chemistry last year and it worked great.
To start off I adjusted my Alkalinity with Bakaing soda which brought my PH into the acceptable level. I added 6 pounds of Stabilizer and started adding bleach to bring it up to shock levels. Once that was done I maintained with Baking Soda when needed, Shock every two weeks and a weekly dose of Phosfree. This process was easy and kept things clean and clear.

Fast forward to this year when I was purchasing my chemicals in early spring. When purchasing shock I saw they sold something called oxy shock and the fact that it burns off the spent chlorine sounded like a good thing to me + swim after only 15 minutes. So I purchased Phosfree\Pool Perfect, Chlorine Tablets, Oxy Shock and Chlorine Shock.
Day 1 of opening the pool I found a nice green layer of algae on the bottom which I vaccumed to waste. Once the pool was cleared of algae I added baking soda and two bags of chlorine shock and ran the pump on a circulate cycle for a day and the water cleared up nicely. At that point I waited for my chlorine levels to drop and started my filter with DE. Checked Alk and it was good. Added my Chlorine tabs to the Chloronator and set my filter on the timer. A few days later I added a bag of oxy shock and I was impressed at the sparkling water quality that insued.

I started using oxy shock every week. We also had a pretty rainy spring and I ended up having to drain some water and I also had a bunch of dirt in the bottom which I vaccumed to waste, so naturally after removing water and then having a few dry weeks I then had to add water. I checked my alkalinity and it was a little bit low. So as part of my routine (that sunday about two weeks ago) I added my phosfree\oxy shock\baking soda. The pool ended up looking a little cloudy to me in the hours that insued. The next day it was clearer, but not sparkling. I checked my alkalinity and it was VERY low. Now, my test strips I used this time were brand new, and figured that there might be an issue with them. Well last night, I decided to test with my aquarium alkalinity kit and my readings were REALLY low. 20ppm. I ran to the grocery store and picked up some more baking soda and added it. I added more again this morning.

The only thing I'm doing differently this year is using Oxy Shock. I am certain this is what has driven down my Alkalinty, but would it drive it down THAT low and in such a short time span? When I added the baking soda and oxy shock at the same time, did the oxy shock percipitate the alkalinity out of the water causing the cloudy look?

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I can't answer the question about oxy-shock....it is not an item I am at all familiar with. That said, I doubt it has anything to do with your TA but that's a guess.

No one on this forum will give you a dependable answer because it will have to be based on your test strip results which have been proven unreliable time after time.

Please continue to read about the precision with which we test and manage pool water and see if it is something for you. It will be an eye opener for you and your water will sparkle.

Thanks, I actually posted that I used test strips and when the validity was in question I used my aquarium test kit (it's not strips).
I'll be bringing a water sample to the local shop as well for further testing. But I guess my question is geared more towards people that have experience with Oxy Shock type products.

I decided to test with my aquarium alkalinity kit and my readings were REALLY low. 20ppm.

Local pool stores are almost as bad as test strips. I've taken 3 samples to 3 stores, got 3 radically different results and 3 very different expensive buy lists. I have tried many different test kits and I find that the TF-100 to be by far the most accurate, repeatable, and easiest to use once you get over the size of the kit. I highly recommend it along with the speed stir.

Oxy Shock is acidic, so it will lower both PH and TA. Trichlor tablets are also acidic. One of the most common granular chlorine products (dichlor) is even more acidic than the other two.

In an outdoor pool Oxy Shock is more expensive and no more effective than chlorine. It has some advantages for indoor pools, but is not worth it for outdoor pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.